1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB500 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 2012 AMJAZZ, Aug 7, 2012.

1. 2012 AMJAZZ

2012 AMJAZZ

Jul 21, 2012
    I just ordered this head from Sweetwater. One of the reviews said it can fall off the cabinet from the vibration. Has anyone experienced this?
    Also, Are these currently assembled in California?

2. Way cool - nice amp.

GK moved from China back to the USA, so yes the new GK MB500 amps are assembled in the USA and I haven’t read about MB500 amps falling off cabinets from vibration yet - what cabs were they using and where did you read that? Thanks

3. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

People speculate about this, but I haven't seen any reports of it actually happening.

To be sure, the top panel of a poorly-braced cab can flex quite a bit, bouncing your amp around pretty bad. So can bouncy stages. I would personally be more concerned about yanking the head off the cab, by stepping on a patchcord.

Hasn't happened to me with any of my micros (Eden ENX260, Genz Streamliner, MB800), and I push my cabs hard on some pretty sketchy stages.

Still, if you're concerned about it happening to you, the easy fix is to tie the little "rack handles" on the MB500 to the grille or handle(s) of your cab, using a dollar-store bungee cord.

4. jay loren

jay loren Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2011
    PA/NJ
    Hasn't happened to me. I'm using this amp with 210 and 410 cabs.

5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    It's technically possible... so some people have a few approaches.

The isolate the bass head using a mat:

as advised on this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/cab-head-vibration-issue-688978/

Looked for a pic... couldn't get one. Another alternative is to rackmount... or use a cab that's sufficiently braced & dampened to keep nasty resonances and odd vibrations at bay...:D

6. BostonTerror

BostonTerror

Dec 31, 2008
    Boston, MA
    I've had it nearly happen to me. I saw it hanging on the edge of my cab, so I put a towel underneath it and that kept it from sliding for the rest of the night. I wound up pulling the feet off of the bottom of the amp and putting some velcro on the top of my cab and the bottom of the amp. Problem solved.

7. 2012 AMJAZZ

2012 AMJAZZ

Jul 21, 2012
    Thanks everyone
    I ordered a GK 4-10 neo to go with the head. That is a good point about stepping on a jack and pulling it off. I might try the bungie cord.
    The review was on the Sweetwater website

8. You're welcome. BTW, I think Chef has a GK MB500/Neo410 rig and said it rocks -anyway, good choice and have fun.

9. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Shouldn't the instrument cable be looped under a handle to stop this? I'd be afraid to have it 'hanging loose' on my bass let alone on the amp... through the strap / handle etc. whatever seems to be the standard approach to damage limitation.

10. I had mine move around on my epifunky 15+210 stack, it actually made my line6 pod bounce around a bit too, I just got some $2 antislip matting/pad from supercheap auto and they stay put.