1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB500 w/ 2 Neo 112-II cabs or the MB212 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thundar, May 12, 2010.

1. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Im in a bit of a delimma, and as I have yet to play a GK MB212, its worse. I am looking at either the GK MB500 head with two neo 112-II cabs..or the MB212 combo...either will be much lighter than the rig Im lugging around now, and I have to say I do prefer small stacks that can get the sound up to my ears while on stage.
    I play in a loud blues/rock band with 2 guitarists, a keyboard player that is admittedly deaf as hell, and a drummer that lives for John Bonham...so I want a light rig than can hang with these boys. We do have great PA support, so no issue there...I just wanna be felt and heard...which do you think would fit my bill the best?
    I tried two Avatar Neo 210's and it just didnt quite hang...especially with my Spector Euro 5 string....farts ala cart.
    I have a Peavey 412 TVX that more than takes care of the big shows, but Im achin' (no pun) for some thing new and light...can either of these GK rigs keep up? Im also open to Markbass or other ideas, but I have a soft spot for the Gk tone.
    Thanks guys!:bassist:

2. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I am sure the mb212 is a great setup, but it cannot possibly be as big a sound as 2-112 cabs. I had an Avatar 212 cab once and now have 2-sb112 neos. The 2 cab setup makes more sound and a deeper tone than the single 212 cab did. I assume the same physics would apply in this case. Bill F. could explain why, I am sure. I just know what my ears tell. me.

3. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Thats kinda what I figured too...just wanna cover my basses, as I may never get to play an MB212 the way they are selling out everywhere...lol

4. philter25

philter25

Mar 26, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    With the MB212, you have no expandability. You could always go through the PA, but thats it. Its a fantastic combo but its still a combo.

If you are concerned with volume levels, then the stack setup might be better for you. In the future, you could always change your speaker setup with a stack setup also.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have a G-K 700RB-II and two first gen Neo112 cabs, and it's a monstrous rig for my purposes. IMO, these cabs go pretty deep, and have loads of punch. But if two Avatar 2x10 cabs didn't work for you, I suspect two 1x12 drivers might not be enough, whether in cab or combo form. Some TB'ers have reported great results with a Neo112 + Neo212 rig, which would give you a little more beef for the full stack and provide two smaller standalone options. You play blues, which always suggests fifteens to me, so maybe a Neo212 + Neo115 would be even better. The new Neo115 isn't that heavy, and could cover smaller gigs on its own.

Also, if you play five strings you might want an RB series head with the 5+ string EQ switch. It makes a difference when I use my Jazz V. I still have GAS for an MB500 head to save some weight, but for gigs with the fiver I'd be inclined to use the 700RB-II anyway.

6. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    Have any of you used a GK mb500 with a single GK neo112?

7. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    i have a GK mb 500 and 2 neo 112s. i played several rehearsals and a handful of gigs with one Neo 112. I was very pleased with it--plenty of volume to keep up with the band on stage. But it really fattens up the sound quite a bit adding the 2nd cab. if you turn it on its side (vertically stacked), the cab has a small footprint on stage, one cab or two. it will handle the low B, but with only one cab at high volume, it may not quite do the trick. I agree that a 12 and a 15 would be a perfect rig for you.

8. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Try a neo 210. I have one and it's a killer cab. So much so that im trying to trade my neo 410 for another one. IMHO they can handle anything you throw at them. 2 of those will blow 2 112s out of the water and be just as easy to carry IMHO.

9. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

BIG +1...
    I'm gigging with a loud, 6 pcs., country/rock group using two Avatar 210 Neo cabinets stacked as a vertical 410 powered by a GK MB2-500 head with one of two, passive, 4 string jazzes. I use FOH maybe 50% of the time depending on the size of the area we're playing in.
    This rig can easily over power any other instrument on our stage.
    If 4-12's is what it takes to hang with the group your working with then I'd say there are two solutions...
    Have the group as a whole bring their volume levels down to where a smaller bass cab will suffice...
    Or live with moving a 412 or two 212 cabinets around.