1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB800 & 8 ohm neo 212 II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hamfistUK, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Just ordered an MB800 to try out with my 8 ohm GK neo 212 II.

The amp is claimed to put out 500W into 8 ohms. Anyone using this pairing ? How close to the "edge" does the MB push the 212 ?

2. I would imagine that the head puts out more then the cab can take, but that if you were careful with your volume knob and listened for "farting" that you should be fine.

3. GKs site indicates the Neo 212 II is rated at 600 Watts so you should be fine from a speaker coil perspective. As indicated, listen for speaker 'farting' to ensure you don't damage your speakers.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The MB800 hits hard, you CAN damage that cab with it if you crank it. It will get VERY loud, just listen and the cab will let your ears know when you should back it off....

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is a great pairing with one or two Neo212-II's. In fact, we recently reviewed that combo in Bass Gear Magazine #8. I also have this head and cab, myself. As long as you are somewhat reasonable/rational with how hard you push things, those two should play very nicely together.

6. Excellent, thanks guys. Especially Tom .. I was hoping you would chip in ... great review in the mag too ! Thanks.

7. "Reasonable/rational" means conservative EQ and restraint on the loud knob. I've seen a few of those cabs for sale with replacement speakers in them.

Blast it by yourself to learn what settings are unreasonable. It's hard to hear bad noises in a noisy rehearsal. Rolling off the deepest lows gets you a lot more useful volume without the fart.

Does the MB800 have that awful 5 string button? Worst idea ever.

8. :rollno: No - the MB800 is a great amp.