1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

gk mb800 or rb1001??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gpx1200, Oct 11, 2013.

1. gpx1200

gpx1200 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    i'm looking at upgrading from my rb700 for more wattage.
    I love the sound of my rb700 but I want more headroom and volume and i'm not shure if the mb800 will still have the same tone of the rb's
    so whats the difference in the tone?

2. I hate to be that guy but are you sure you need more power? What's your speaker situation?
    Can't tell you about the MB but I understand the 1001 sounds just like the 700 only louder.

3. Forgotmypen13

Forgotmypen13

Oct 11, 2013
    rb2001. Maybe too much power for your cabs but they have powerful punch

4. gpx1200

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    I use a gk neo 410+115 or sometimes an swr 2x12 and i'm building a fearfull 1212/6/1 that handles about 1200w.
    yes I need more power.
    rb2001 is way to expensive and I don't need the biamp setup any more because the fearfull has its own.
    i'm looking for a description of the tonal differences in the rb series and the mb800

5. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I'm not familiar with the RB heads, but from posts here the MB heads are very similar with a tad more going on down low.

I use a MB800 with my Barefaced Big Twin T (12/12/6/1) and think they match up wonderfully. Open, uncompressed and thunderous low end, and loud as heck. The GK eq is great, and is able to tone down the upper mid/treble aggression from that combo without losing clarity and definition.

6. WillieB

WillieB Battling Bass Guitar Bulimia since 1975 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I have not used an RB but I have used a little mark II, a genz benz shuttle 9.0 - sold both current setup is a GK MB 800 with two GK 2x10 I love it I take a mb 200 as a backup.

I really haven't found any head that fits my eq needs perfectly so I use a whirlwind bass ten eq everytime I play.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    In a live context the MB series heads sound close enough to the RB series for my taste. You won't be able to get the same exact GK growl from the MB heads (it's close with the boost channel though), but since you want more headroom that won't be an issue.

I say get the MB and enjoy carrying a small/light head! Besides, you've already got the RB series in your 700.

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Personally if I were you, I would hold out on the new amp until you try your 700rbII with the new cab you are building. That amp you have now is more than capable of shredding that 115 you have now, which is your limiting factor for volume in that rig. I use my 700rbII with two 410 NEOs and I have no problem keeping pace with two guitar players and an obnoxious drummer.

The RB heads aren't all that heavy anyway, so I wouldn't sacrifice any tone at all to save a few pounds with the MB. There won't me much volume difference between the 1001 and the 700. The 1001 will have more clean head room than the 700, so with the 1001 you will have to get insanely loud to get that gritty GK tone that its known for. The 700 will do this at a more useable volume level.

9. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I have an 800RB and a 1001RB, Theres a good difference between those two. The 1001RB pushes way more air but the basic tone is the same. Ive never tried the MB series though.

10. gpx1200

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    I was planning to try the 700 with the fearful first but now guitar center is having a sale and and the cab won't be finished in time and i do find the switchable gain channels appealing as well as the 5lb/800w combo but i agree that a few pounds is not worth sacrificing tone for I have tried 2x410 cabs with the band as well and I like the 15 better but I just can't get the sound I like at very high volumes with either, not shure if the one fearfull cab will be enuf either so im keeping all my other gear for a while until I find a combo I like even at stupid loud volumes. i do have enuf wood to build another 12/6 so I could wind up using the mb/fearful 1212/6 combo for my cleen chanell and an rb700/fearful 12/6 combo for the dirty side and it would still weigh less than my neo stack alone but ill consider that after i have tried the 1212/6

11. Warmuth

Warmuth

Aug 6, 2012
    It's probably best to just wait for your new cab unless you just really have the money to burn for a new head too. I used to think I needed all the power of my 1001 until I played 500 watts through 4 15's. While the 1001 through a 412 will get crazy loud it's not really any louder than the 500 through the 15's. In the case of the 500 watt hartke I'm never over 5 on the volume and my band is LOUD.

12. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You wouldn't be sacrificing any tone with either of these amps. They both sound amazing and both are very GK.

13. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Finish your fEarful, and you will have all the amp you need.

I have a GK1001rb2 and with a single 12/6 I have more volume than I'd ever need. With your 12/12/6/1, you will be coasting with the GK you have.

I felt like I got a new amp when I hooked my 1001 up to the fEarful for the first time. I hadn't heard what the GK could do with the conventional cabs I'd built.

The 1001 is a monster, I rarely get to open it up to happy land on most gigs. Many folks love the 700 just because they can drive it harder and not be stupid loud. I use an MXR m-80 di+ to get things warmed up at lower volumes.

Does the GK rb 700 have the high channel? If so, check this out.

I wired my fEarful with four pole speakons and put the horn by itself on the high output. At that time the fEarful 3 way crossover started feeding the horn at about 6000 which I felt was too high.

The GK crosses over at 5K. Putting the horn on the high channel saved me a stage in the crossover build and gave me a tweeter control on the amp front panel, rather than an attenuator on the cab. Cheap and easy. I made up a four wire speakon for the GK and the 15/6/1. Truth be told, at 5K or 6K, there isn't a lot going on with the horn that you will hear in a loud band mix. Acoustic basses, or low volume situations, the horn can be nice. I can roll off highs and mids on the low channel to the main drivers, but still retain the "air" and shimmer on top.

You can always pick up a used 1001 for like $400 if you still want more.

From what I've heard testing the GK mb's, they sound like GK's.

I would strongly advise finishing your fEarful build before making any other moves.

I've tried a number of amps since building the fEarfuls, and I hang onto my GK, but also use a GB streamliner 600. The fEarfuls faithfully produce both the speedy punch of the GK solid state and the gooier tube feel of the Genz Benz.

You might add something totally different to to your amp stable and have more choices.

14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I think the weight and form factor along with power of the MB800 will make you giddy, you'll have a slightly smoother top end, less growl and more warmth. The 1001RB has to get pushed to get snarly, really a loud scenario.