1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB800 + Orange SP210 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AFC, Feb 11, 2013.

1. AFC

AFC

Feb 11, 2013
    500w into a single iso 2x10. Anyone tried it? Better results than the Terror head?

2. I would say its a no go. That cab is going to run out of gas somewhere around 250 watts, and only have the output of a 110.

Good amp, get a better cab.

3. AFC

AFC

Feb 11, 2013
    Those were my initial thoughts. I tried the Terror 500 head and had that experience. Wondered if the GK may add a bit of volume & bite. Cheers for the response, much appreciated mate.

4. Tonal differences aside both amps have their place. Either would kill with one of the "super 12's" and be a lot louder than the iso 210.

5. AFC

AFC

Feb 11, 2013
    What's your personal favourite on a Super 12? Purely based on having to carry it half a mile and it being compact & loud?

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The cab is a dud IMO. Output of a 110 in a smaller, heavier, much more expensive, cute, orange package.

Light and loud? Composite fEarful 12/6 by Mike Arnopol. Can't beat the volume/wt ratio, and you get depth and clarity to boot, with a substantial price tag :)

7. That would be a very light option indeed. Personally I would go with a okoume fEARless 112. Any of greenboy's Authorized Builders will work in that medium. The fEARless 112 is smaller and lighter than the fEARful 12/6 in the same material, cheaper to boot.

8. AFC

AFC

Feb 11, 2013
    Thank you Gents, that's a good start. Both agree on the orange and on fEARfull cabs

9. The TB500 puts out full wattage at 8 Ohms. I have a 12/6/1 and let me tell you with that much power driving it, it is a seriously impressive cab. Like, "how dafuq did all that come out of that little box?" loud.

10. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Yes, that pair will make people do a doubletake and spit beer out of their noses:p.

11. +1

12. AFC

AFC

Feb 11, 2013
    Last roll of the dice here, Barefaced Midget as a very lightweight alternative? I could even carry two of them (one in each hand) half a mile with bass and head on my back.......

13. If you are outside of the U.S. then they would be a great option. If you do decide to go with Barefaced, then I recommend you check out the Big Baby. A more capable cab, with not a huge increase in weight. Inside the U.S. you could avoid international shipping by having one of greenboy's Authorized Builders build you a fEARless 112 or fEARful 12/6 out of light weight ply like Okoume. These are similar in concept to the Barefaced stuff, but with slightly different executions.

14. AFC

AFC

Feb 11, 2013
    I'm in the UK so there's less options for fEARful building, hence the Barefaced enquiry. The Big baby, as you say, is a perfect 12/6.5 ratio. It's a wallet pounding £750 and I'd need both arms carrying that down the street. I'm glad you rate the Barefaced cabs, that's the option I'll probably take. Thanks