1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB800 Vs. GK MB Fusion800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by otto B, Oct 6, 2013.

1. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Fort Bliss Texas
    I would to know what the different in sound between the GK MB800 Vs. GK MB Fusion800?

Witch one is cleaner and punchier

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    What about Witches 2 and 3? J/K! The MB 800 is designed to be clean and still have a certain amount of over-drive available, but the Fusion series builds that on top of a layer of tube/EQ effects, via the three 12AX7 tubes in the pre-amp.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Have owned the MB2-500 A07 and now own the MB Fusion. The MBF has a smoother, richer tone. Is less 'aggro' by default. It can still get the Gk thing going but it isn't as 'baked in'. IMO - without having tried the Mbf-800 - my MBF 500 is the best GK yet for me.

Yesterday I did a one hour festival set doing acoustic support with it and a fearful 12.6. I could take it out tomorrow and do a rock and roll gig with it. I did top it out once this summer on a really loud outdoor gig. It worked but I was in the limiter most if the night. Truth is that I was not happy with the volume scenario at all. Tough to sing at that volume ... People just not paying attention... The substance happens...

Full disclaimer, I have had my second GK service experience since around 1980 with this head. The first was a 400B that got smoked in a beach bar in Rhode Island. Power sag then surge took out a whole bunch of gear, my old GK with it. This time it was a stuck mute switch. Both times GK came through for me. I subscribe to the thought that nobody is perfect. The folks that really stand apart are those that have a plan for when things don't go as planned. Seems to me that Gk has that plan in place.

So I'll probably snag an MBF-800 for next summer outside festival season. Just in case we get carried away again....

4. Haven't tried an MBF800 but I was going to buy an MBF500. I tried it out but wasn't bowled over so I tried an MB200 and liked the sound better.
    I therefore bought an MB800 and love it. It's very versatile. Check out Dan's vid on the GK site. It really sums this amp up well. :)

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    They are both inherently clean-sounding heads, which have the ability to dial in some dirt/grind.

I find the MB Fusion 800 to be more harmonically complex and with a bit more "sonic texture." Conversely, the MB800 is a bit more solid, even and focused. They definitely sound more similar than different, and they both pack one heck of a punch.

6. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

What Tom said!

7. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Man, that must have been some kind of loud! I run the gains on my MBF-500 at 11 & 1:00 and I've never even pushed the master volumes past noon ...and that was LOUD! Hopefully you had ear protection.

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    FWIW, I sold my Fusion 800 mainly for the smaller form factor of the MB800. Tonally I would agree with the "more complex" description being the difference with the tubes, also the high end on the MB800 seems a little more "edge" . Overall the MB Fusion series is a winner, I personally would have been happier with the MB500 smaller form factor and less power but I just had to revisit the MB800 again for a second spin.

I will say that I prefer the tone shaping buttons on top of the unit like the Fusion 500 has. I didn't like having to negotiate making adjustments on the fly with the Fusion 800. Also for some reason the initial gain seems hotter, I either had the choice of turning the gain down to 1 on the preamp stage or using the -10db pad. The pad really took the high end off the tone, sucked it right into outer space. So I felt adjusting the volume on the Fusion 800 was a bit of a pain.

The MB800 is smaller, fit's into a case and also into my pouch on my gig bag. BONUS.

So thats my two cents. Fusion, slightly better tone overall.

9. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Fort Bliss Texas
    I did own the new GK MB Fusion800 and it was complicated to get the right tone for me, it had so many adjustments and it would kill me to the push knobs setting will go back to off every time i turn off the amp, but it had a good sound. I was wondering since the MB800 don't have the tubes neither the switches how does it relates in sound? is it better to adjust the sound? is it cleaner since it doesn't have the tubes?

10. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    I only have an MB800, but the controls are quite similar to the Fusion800. However, its operation—at least how I use it, is very simple. I don't use the gain B channel at all—just keep it off. Everything is very straight forward then.