1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MBE vs MBE II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TravTrav, Aug 6, 2012.

1. TravTrav

TravTrav

Jun 6, 2010
    WA
    Besides looks, do you guys know of any major differences from the Gallien Krueger MBE and newer MBE II? I was going to go to BassNW today and buy an 212 MBE cabinet, but I'm not sure if they have the newer ones.... Also, does anyone know if the newer models will be more expensive?

2. I’m not really sure what all the differences are but since GK moved from China back to the USA I think the new GK equipment may cost a little more, and I don’t think the new MBE-II cabs are in stores yet but GK should be shipping them soon. I want one of the new tiny little GK MB110 combos.

3. hubb

hubb

Apr 2, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm on the market for a 410 and would love to try out the MBE-II. i may delay purchase because i'm worried about the ampeg 410HLF being too heavy and muddy. I like the GK Pro Neo, but it doesn't look great imho.

4. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Hey, just to kick up this thread - what the differences betwee MBE and MBE II are supposed to be??

Is it just cosmetics?
    Or changes in bracing/damping vs the MBE enclosures?

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products/cabinets/

Thanks for any insight.

There are some very good deals here blowing out the MBEs so I am debating if it is worth waiting for new ones.

5. I am thinking it is time to get the second 8 ohm 212MBE I promised myself !

I have been watching for a deal (should have bought last year when amazon was selling them for 270 ! Doh !)

I have seen'em for 399 so far, but am looking for a deal on an 8 ohm 212MBE

6. xthecaptainx

xthecaptainx

Aug 18, 2012
    Sweetwater is now selling them for $500. Sounds like a lot for an MBE cab...

7. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    So, what are the differences then??

Version I vs II?

8. xthecaptainx

xthecaptainx

Aug 18, 2012
    besides the grill no clue. I just emailed GK asking...I'll post again if they ever reply.

9. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    I've been wondering the same thing. Maybe RAG will jump in here?

10. xthecaptainx

xthecaptainx

Aug 18, 2012
    Ok GK just replied back with this "The difference is cosmetic only. The new cabinet has a black cloth grill and chrome logo. The chassis is also black."

11. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Cool, thanks!

12. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Pelham, AL
    I looked up prices.....the MB212-II is $100 more, and it's only cosmetics?......that's BS.....

13. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    Because if the increasing cost of Neo magnets all our Neo loaded products are going up in price.
    Bob

14. Also MIA now as far as I know.
    That costs.

15. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Pelham, AL
    ah, I wasn't aware of the rising costs of neo magnets. these are neat cabs, but I was trying to do something extremely loud in a small light package.....I'm a big cab guy, though. I had a 200S 2x15 replica cab I started, and I think I'm just gonna finish that. $800 is getting too much for a 2x12 combo that will fart out at high volumes. a 1x18 I have has never farted out at almost near max volumes with the low freq sliders boosted all the way, so I guess I just need a bigger cab to get my volume needs...

the new MB212-II looks great, however. a LOT better than it used to look. tell your design department great job with it.

16. You've had experience with the MB212 "farting out at higher volumes " ?

'cause I haven't really heard anyone that has had to push one to that extreme.

it doesn't have the surface area of 2 15's.......but gets quite loud

17. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    I just got a old version MBE 212, and placed an order for a second, but it got back ordered soon as I ordered it. Hopefully I get two matching ones.

For those waiting for a sale I think you about to miss out. I got them with guitar centers birthday code and paid $377 each.

I too emailed GK and can confirm it is cosmetic only and $499 vs the $399.

Anyone else notice the aluminum grill (at least in the 212) is really springy, needs a support, I'm afraid it'll cave in with a jolt and bash the speakers.

18. tonyp145

tonyp145

Apr 1, 2012
    Kent, WA
    Hey Trav, I'm also in Seattle, you know GC downtown has a 115 MBE for $169. I bought the mate a couple of months ago and it's ridiculously light at 30 lbs and sounds pretty good to me. I've just been really surprised it hasn't sold. I thought about getting it myself but I just picked up a used TC RS210 cab for my RH450 so I'm done cab shopping for now.

Anyway might not be sexy, but it works, just FYI.

19. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I can't see specs on the old MBE now... The MBE-II says they have a horn on/off but not a variable attenuator. Is the MBE the same? I was considering the MBE-212, but only if it had a variable horn attenuator.

Thanks!

20. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yup - it's just a piezo, off is good ;) .