1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK + MXR M-80 = ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dave120, Mar 29, 2006.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    So I came to sort of a revelation today at practice. I've been using the M-80 since before I got my GK amp, usually using the distortion channel and dialing in a very small amount of gain and blend.

But today I had my stuff packed up when the singer came back and wanted to run through a couple more songs. I didn't feel like setting everything back up again so I just plugged my modded SX straight into my amp with a 3 ft cable that usually runs to the pedal, so I was pretty much stuck standing there right next to my amp. But the sound that came out of my amp was amazing! It was that GK growl I had been trying to get all along! Running through the M-80 I seem to always be fighting muddiness and it would get lost in the mix easily sometimes, or be completely overbearing.

I think the color feature has a lot to do with it. It sounds GREAT when you're playing by yourself or even recording with it, but in the mix (or at least the mix I play in) it seems to mud it up a bit too much and I always find myself having to cut the bass knob some to even it out. The counter to this is turning up the gain and blending more of it in but that's not the sound I want for this kind of music...maybe if I was playing more heavy metal it would work better to have that much distortion. I also didn't have as much of a problem when I had a single coil J in the bridge position. With a Hot Stack there it seems to have exaggerated the problem some.

To bad I figured this out at the end of practice so I didn't have too much time to experiment with it. Have to wait till next time I guess. I'm gonna try using the M-80 on the clean side with a flat EQ and color switch off next time so I still get the pre-amp boost but with minimal coloration of the sound, and let the amp's pre handle that since I think it sounds better that way. I'm hoping my M-80 will work well for just boosting the signal without changing the sound this way. My amp has plenty of power even without the pre-amp from the pedal, but I kind of like only having to turn the amp to about 2 to get way more volume that I need for 80% of the shows we do.

Anyone else have any similar experiences?

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well the colour switch scoops the mids so it stops you cutting through in a band.

I recently had to use a GK rig and I had my M-80 off, as soon as I clicked it on my tone went through the roof far more punchy and clear and just sounded far better.

What you may be experiencing is over eqing, if you bass is active and you use an external preamp and then eq at your amp it's gonna sound like mush, take 1 of the eq's out of there personally I'd stop using the amps eq so that I can send my eq'd tone to the pa and just use the amp as a monitor.

But also the distortion channel also scoops your mids it makes the pedal work great as a 2 channel pre with the gain and blend all the way off, you can switch between finger and slap style.

For about 2 weeks now I've wanted to remove the mxr and go with a really transparent Radial but I can't lose this pedal it's amazing, it's one of those if I could only take one thing to a gig it would be the m-80

Hope this helps