Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gk my best option?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by suasa, Aug 13, 2004.

1. okay i have been searchin the net for a affordable 2x10 cab since i want to get rid of my 1x15 or mabey even keep it but depends on how much money i got left. okay so avatar is outa the question because shipping would cost more than the cab so it has to be a cab available in canada and i was looking at
    1. yorkville bc 2x10 capeable of handling 300 watts rms 8 ohm not sure of the other stats couldnt find em.

2. swr workingmans 2x10 200 watts rms 8 ohm 98 dB SPL @ 1W1M (-3db @ 63 Hz and 18.5 KHz) and 60 lbs good but not quite as efficient as the gk.

3. hartke xl 2x10 96 dB @ 1 W/1 M 50 Hz To 5 kHz 46 pounds and is also not as efficient as the gk.

4. gk sbx 2x10 200 watts rms 8 ohms 102dB 50Hz to 19kHz + 5dB. 58 lbs which looks best to me but what do i know.

so any opinions welcome and i am looking for loud and i only play 4 bangers at the moment will have a 5er in the future but still exploring the 4s for now. i wanted to keep the price under 600 canadian which i believe all of these cabs are if not let me know also i am young and huge 15 as of today and 6"4' 215 lbs so i dont really need to worry about weight i am still young. low end is nice but all of these cabs frequency response starts at about 50 hrz so they will all have close to the same lows no? so what do u all think gk or other wise and all suggestions welcome but keep it under 600 canadian or 400 american thanks a bunch. oh and my amp is a bxr 400 2 seperate channels running 200 watts at 4 ohm i am guessing 160 watts or so at 8 ohm .

shayne

2. As much as I hope you'll buy the GK cabinet, the specs only tell a small part of the story. You really need to listen to a few of them. I believe you will like what you hear in the GK cab.

Good luck with your choice.

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The Hartke seems to be the caboose of that list...

but... specs are specs. Maybe you can get the sound you want out of any of them... maybe none of them. I'd go with the GK, as its got a good combination of high efficiency and easy-to-find-ness.... (sorry... did my best) :spit:

4. well thanks but u see all i have to go on is specs and opinions becaues neither of the music stores in my area have either in stock they are just small private stores one has alot of fender stuff out and the other has alot of custom and roland stuff out in their showroom so thats all i have to try and i dont want either so if anyone has a ibanez srx 400 and any of these cabs wanna let me know how it sounds. thanks

5. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    My vote goes to GK. I like how it sounds and how loud it is.

6. bump any one else got any opinoins

now also looking at
    Hartke 2.5XL - 2x10 with HF Driver XL Series Cabinet 200 watts rms at 8 ohms frequency response is 35hz to 12 khz 99 dB @ 1 W/1 M at 68 pounds much better lows but really dies on the highs as does the other hartke but not as bad because of the 5 inch driver on this one.

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Since you cant try any of them... I'd stay away from Hartke. Some people like them, but there's really a select few that really seek out the hartke sound.

Likewise, GK and Yorkville are brands that often serve as a "final stop" in the quest for tone for a decent amount of players out there.