GK neo 1x12 or 2x12 extension?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    i currently play thru a gk neo 700 / 112 combo which is actually an rb 700-II head (480 watts at 4 ohms) with gk neo 12 speaker. do you guys think a 480 watts would be enough to push this setup with a gk 2x12 neo extension cab? im worried about 240 watts not being ample for the 2x12. or should i go with the 1x12 extension? id really like to have a big sound with a huge bottom.
  2. Personally I like very much the sound of GK Neo 12 + GK Neo 15 so I recommend this combination over the 1x12 + 1x12. The other option - 1x12 + 2x12 looks good on paper and probably will be louder but I never tried it.
    Don't worry about underpowering - 240 W into two 12" drivers will be OK.
  3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I agree the 15 will add more "huge" to your bottom end compared to the neo112. But the neo112 would be very sexy underneath that combo of yours assume it's the same dimensions. The latter point of course being more important than how it sounds. ;)
  4. I think I would go with another 112 or the 115 NEO cab. I have the same combo and that is what I am going to add when the funds are available.

Fantastic combo !

BTW, come over to the GK forum if you aren't already a member and see what they have to say. The link is in my sig.
  5. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    You have plenty of power to push a 2X12. I wish someone made a 4X12 for bass. I think twelves sound better if your playing a four string. A fiver however does need a 15 or even an 18 in the mix.
  6. I know GK makes a 412 NEO. Gallien Kruegers 412 NEO :bassist:
  7. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    actually im going to get 2, 2x12 neo cabs eventually and a 1001RB-II. ive never even played GK gear until i bought my combo blind without a test, just went off the reviews and ill tell ya ive never been happier with my tone. :bassist:

i have considered the neo 1x15 but i hate buying without being able to hear it first ya know? i hear they are tighter sounding then traditional 15's yet still retain the big low end. anyone have experience with the neo 15's?

now that ive heard the gk neo 12 i am in love. :hyper: :p thats why im considering the 2x12 to go with it. my peavey cirrus tiger eye sounded so thin with my swr rig. the gk adds warmth and bottom without sacrificing clarity. i just love it!
  8. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    For me, the low notes on the B-string are very important. You definitely NOT need 15" or 18" for great low bottom. The GK Neo 2x12 handle the lows (E and B) superbly, and if you have two of them it's more than enough.
    Yes, GK Neo 115 are tighter sounding than traditional 15's, but I switched to the GK Neo 2x12 for louder and punchier sound, still retain very good lows. I run my 2 x GK Neo 2x12 with Ampeg SVT-6 PRO, and the sound is Huge.