GK Neo 2 x 12 review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ADbassman, Feb 20, 2005.

1. I recently purchased a Gallien Krueger Neo 2 x 12 and just thought I'd give y'all my experience with it. Hes the setup I'm running.

-BBE Bmax
    -QSC USA 1310 (400 watts @ 8 ohms stereo, 1300 watts @ 8 ohms mono)
    -1 GK Neo 2 x 12 (600 watts @ 8 ohms RMS)
    -Fender MIM Jazz
    -1985 Ibanez MC924 Musician Bass

First off, good lord is this thing loud! I'm was thinking of getting a QSC PLX 3402, but damn, do I really need that much power now? I've got the Bmax at about 1/4 gain and 1/4 master, and the power amp cracked in stereo, and this cab is just screaming. Its taking the power like a champ, no clipping problems whatsoever. Before I was using a Hartke 4 x 10 VX series and it was having some clipping problems, but this new cab is just plain loud, no clipping problems on the QSC at all.

After a practice with my band, I took this rig home and tried out all the different tones on the Bmax through this thing. This cab just produces a world of better tone over the old Hartke. I found tones on the Bmax that sound amazing, I had no idea it could do some of the things it does. This setup with breathe life into any bass. The bottom end on this cabinet is amazing, it'll have your pants flapping all over the place. The 2 x 12 alone is outpreforming my old 4 x 10, and many other larger cabs I've played in the past. Its just amazing.

Lastly, this cab is lighter than my old 4 x10, which is a huge plus. It weights about 64 pounds according to the specs, and it doesn't nearly feel that heavey. Its so much more portable than many of the cabs I've tried. I love it.

Sorry that my thoughts are a little scrambled all over the place, I'm just a little excited. So I'll give you a couple of pros and cons to finish this off.

-Loud, very loud (With the right amount of power)
    -Light(ish), only 64 pounds
    -Handles power with no problem
    -Has wheels
    -Deep low end and crisp high end

-Maybe a bit bigger by dimensions than I thought it was, but I can get past that
    -The grill is a little thin, but certianly not weak.
    -I never really liked tolex

I really can't think of any real problems with this cab though. As long as it sounds good, it is good.
  2. dont

Jul 25, 2004
    Congrats! And welcome to the 212 club. I feel the same way about my Genz-Benz NeoX212. I wanted to try the G-K before I decided on my G-B, but I couldn't be happier with the sound I have. From your description, the two cabs perform very similarly.
  3. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    2x12's are very good stand-alone cabinets, and they are also very good when added to other cabinets. What's not to love? Congrats on your purchase.
  4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmmm, sounds nice. How much was it? I still can't decide wether to go 212 or 412.. Would the 212 have as much lows as a good 15?
  5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i LOVE the Neo 212- nice and light, and sounds great! I am now needing 2 separate rigs and I am going with a duplicate of what i have now, the GK1001 and the GK Neo 212. This way i can leave a rig on a gig and have another to do side work with... i can't wait to hear 2 Neo 212's together! As i wrote elsewhere, a LOT of bassists that hear my very medium sized rig comment and how good it sounds. Very happening stuff. And i love the horn management system.
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Just wondering, you had that wired in stereo correct? If so, try putting it in bridged for more volume. Remember, there is always a limit on the power amp if you are using fewer watts, but with more watts you can always turn down if you are giving it too much. Other than that, great review! I need to check out one of these new cabs...
  7. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Congrats! GK Neo sounds good, very good. :cool:
  8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    On Friday, I played my first high volume show with my "mini" rig: a GK Neo112 and 700RB-II head. (Needed to transport kids to in laws, so Goliath III wouldn't fit in the car.) I was a little concerned it wouldn't keep up.

But it turned out to be AWESOME. I could not believe the solid volume and punch coming out of that small cab, and it took all the power without protest. Just a fantastic hard rock tone that proved the cliche that 12's have the slam of 15's and clarity of 10's. Left me seriously jonesing for that Neo 212!
  9. How would a Neo 212 go with an Eden WT-400? The small size is really appealing to me.
  10. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Alright, saw a good deal on Ebay for the Genz but if I don't win that in a few hours, i'm ordering the GK custom with 4 ohms... Anybody A-Bd em? Lower frequency response reported by GK is interesting but rest seems relatively equal
  11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Well, i just got in form a gig where we had to play outside- once again, with the GK1001 and my F bass with fresh strings, I was in heaven with the Neo 212- so warm and nice. I am so pleased with this rig.
  12. How exactly do you go about ordering a 4 ohm version? Does it cost more?