1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK Neo 212-II......will it cut it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bumperbass, Jul 23, 2012.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I know. I know. My question is answered here somewhere. I've looked, but I've decided to ask the question my way.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I play in a 3-piece rock/classic rock/all kinds of newie's and oldie's.
    We play out of town a lot. When we do, I ride with the guitar player. His van is full of his stuff plus an entire PA and light system. My Peavey 410TVX won't fit so I end up using his Behringer 300 watt combo thingy with a 15. It's loud enough, but I don't like the sound. I get PA support so that's why it's loud enough.
    So, to get to the point:
    I am SICK and TIRED of TRYING to lift that sticking heavy Peavey cab and I want something that will fit in the PA van.
    After searching my soul for days and going through threads on here, I THINK I need/want a GK Neo 212-II. I'm afraid to pick up the phone and commit to it without asking if you guys think it will have enough low end guts and volume for my purposes, or if I should just get the GK 410 neo and drive myself to the gigs all the time? We are pretty sane with stage volume so all I need to do is keep up with the drummer's volume (isn't this what everybody has to do anyway? :bassist:)
    If anybody owns one of these GK Neo 212-II's, are you happy with it? I like the sound of my 410TVX and I go way back to the 215 era. I am aware of the combing effects of a 410, which is why I'm hesitant to get another one.
    Thanks very much and I apologize in advance if this has been covered to death.
    I play a P-Bass with an MXR M87 bass compressor through a Peavey Tour 450.
    :help:

Spidey2112 and TonyP- like this.
  2. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Yes. It will cut it. These are GREAT cabs for exactly what you describe--loud, "low," light. Beautiful, inexpensive cabs. (I drive one with a 1001RBII, and I have trouble in a very loud Latin band not being overpowering for the group.)

I'm not that sure what the size difference is with the GK410 though--the 212 may not be that much smaller, but I haven't look at the dimensions in some time.

username1 likes this.
  3. Hardly any size difference between neo212 and the neo410 really. I use a Neo 212 with either my fusion or more recently an ashdown abm head and both sounds great!

4. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Thank you, Jeremy. The 410 is 23.5"W x 26.5"H x 18.5"D. The 212 is 24" W x 24"H x 16"D. Not much difference. Combing effects and WEIGHT, then. Hmm. Yeah. Weight.
    Plus, we play on some small stages, too.
    The 212 is 51 lbs. and the 410 is 68 lbs. That's not much difference, I know, but it seems to matter when you actually lift a difference in 17 lbs. Hope I'm not splitting hairs here. The 410 is only $100 more. Decisions, decisions. I just want to be done with this cabinet thing, which is driving me crazy.

5. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Thanks for chiming in, Anarchyok. Another "Yes. It will".

6. carbonfold

carbonfold

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    I currently use and gig with a GK212 Neo II and it has worked out great ( even when playing in a 5 piece ). I have also had some experiences with the Peavey TVX cabs they are ok but I prefer the GK Neo ones myself because the GK Neo is a bit tighter and punchier. Also, who can pass up the lightweightness of it!

However, if all you brought to a show, as a bassist, is a 410 cab, amp and bass guitar and was told there wasnt enough room.... "I" would be royally PO. That's isn't too much to ask for as a bassist.

But if "you" want something a bit more portable, the GK212 Neo II should serve you just fine in the output field an if not better. Just as long as the 12's sing to your ears the same.

7. I have played some large halls with my 212-II with minimal PA support. I really like this cabinet. I drive with a 1001rb-II

username1 likes this.
  8. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    carbonfold, 410's sing nicely. A single 15? Yeah, but it's too low on the floor and I can't hear it well. Since I am very used to the 215 thingy, I'm sure I'd be happy with a 'snappier than a 15' 212 cab. That Peavey is 96 lbs. Holy Moly! No neo's from Peavey either. Too bad. They are losing business. This weight concern is getting a little long in the tooth for a lot of people these days. I ain't gittin' any younger, either.

9. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Daniel, you're using a MM with the humbucker too, right? If so you're pushing a lot of LF through this thing.

10. Yeah, it handles the Musicman and 1001rb-II nicely.

It isn't an HLF ampeg cab or a UL410 though.

It is punchy and articulate.

It handles my low end requirements really well. If you are after monstrous amounts of pillow at really really high volumes - there are better (and almost always more expensive) cabs out there for that IMO.

However - they are perfect for me.:bassist:

11. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    I had an older GK 410 that I put to pasture and replaced it with a 212-II Neo. I'm running it with a 700RB-II and it's loud enough (and ballsy enough) at 30% +/- for any club I've played in the past six years around Boston.

12. I bought the NEO212 II to use on "smaller" gigs when the NEO412 is just too big.
    IT WILL GET THE JOB DONE with ease, tone and projection.

jeff7bass likes this.
  13. Did you think of getting 2x Neo 112-II? 30lbs each, single haul @ one per hand, modular (you can bring only one for small gigs and most interestingly... You can stack them vertically for better polar response and great near field monitoring + small footprint. More cubic feet total with 2x 112 than a single 212, should get a tad more bass response.

Attached Files:

14. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    FretlessMainly, have these cabs been out for 6 years or are you using the older 212 neo's?

B-string, do you find that you are taking the 212 to gigs more often than the 412? That's saying a lot.

15. Unless we are outside or in a big hall the 212 II gets the nod :D It is a hard choice every time :/

16. carbonfold

carbonfold

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    I also heavily giged with a GK412 Neo II for about a year and a half. Awesome cabinet but with all the PA support these days.... Well... It can be overkill.

So these days I roll with the one 212 and if I want to look beefier, take a second one :)

Fair Warning likes this.
  17. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I thought of that too, but it's $200 more. It would be off the floor another 8 inches, though, which would be great. I'd have to stack them as they come, and not staked on their side like you have them. My Tour 450 is in a rack case, so I need the width. Good point. I wish they'd stack and LOCK, somehow, so I wouldn't have to wonder about them sliding around if stacked in the van. I may have to rethink this.
    Thanks.

18. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Word. :mad:

My thoughts exactly... :meh:

MM

19. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I wonder if the GK is excluded from the 15% discount? I see MF has a sale now. 2 x 112 = $510. Nice. Seems to me I bought something that was on the excluded list but they gave it to me anyway.
    ??

20. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I forgot to mention......the 212 is 8 ohm and each 112 is 8 ohm. So 2 - 112 would be a 4 ohm load. I like the idea.

jeff7bass likes this.