GK NEO 212 Or Peavey 412 TVX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sdguyman, May 19, 2005.

Which Cab do I buy

Poll closed May 25, 2005.
  1. Gallien Krueger 212

31 vote(s)
  2. Peavey 412

5 vote(s)
  1. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    OK I'm about to pull the trigger and get one of these cabs but just cant decide. The NEO 212 is lighter smaller rated at 8 ohm and would match my GK700RBII but only use 280 Watts of the amp, The Peavey 412 is rated at 4 ohms bigger heavier but would use the 700RBII full 480 watts.

I play in a jazz group and occasionally at my church. Help me decide what to buy.

2. Well do you really need 100lbs of cabinet to play jazz and at your church? I would o with the GK. If you were playing in al loud rock setting I would have said the peavey.
  3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Yes, NEO 2 X 12, and then you can add a GK NEO 112 at a later time when you have more $$$ and by then you'll know if you need more cone area. I have Neo 112 and its a nice little cabinet. Fat and punchy sounding, perfect compliment to your 2X12. That way you'll have the horn management system on both cabs, everything will match and it will be 4 ohms total load. See? perfect.

Go GK.
  4. I have the GK Neo 2 x 12. You'll be fine with 280 watts. This cab will use every bit of them to their full potential, its pretty efficent. I run mine with 550 watts and can keep up with an 8 x 10 doing 300 watts.
  5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    just got another gk neo 212 ( i now have a pair ) these are wonderful cabs, the horn management system is sweet - i am very happy with my rig- i have not needed to use both cabs, but boy, it is happening when i couple them, one cab is enough, though- i got the second for side gigs.
    go for the gk - the 700 will be fine
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Absolutely. I also have the Neo112, and a 700RBII. They're a great match; even this "mini rig" has surprising depth, warmth, and punch. The Neo212 should be twice the fun! And the horn management system really works. So yes, get the GK, and add a 112 or another 212 later (maybe even a Neo115 :bassist: ) when you can.
  7. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    Thanks for all the feedback. I made a call over at Riks and the 212 hopefully will be here by Thursday or Friday. :hyper:
  8. The 700RB-II does 320 watts at 8 ohms.
  9. The Neo 212 is a sweet cab. I found one today in a local shop and I absolutely loved the punch and tone coupled with the 700RB. I think you'll be plenty happy with the Neo 212. That's one of the next things on my list to purchase. How much did everybody get theirs for??
  10. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    My drummer has a PV 412 at his house, it's a monster! I can't imagine ever lugging around that 140lb beast. Go with the 212. You can always add another cab later.
  11. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I haven't bought one but am looking at it. I was quoted $570 from riksmusic.com about a week ago.

I'm strongly considering one of these cabs, I was planning on going with a 115 and 210 SBXII but the 210 version of this cab is not available yet and I am growing desperate. I think a 212 neo would be a find companion to the 1001RB-II I am also planning on getting. I would add another cab down the line to get full output from the head.
  12. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    $570 was what I bought mine from Riks. They have the best prices in the country for GK gear. I will problably buy the 112 once I save some money.

I too was thinking about the 210 SBX but I shyed away from it. I know that they are differnt cabs but I was at the local GC and I plugged a 700rb into a 210BLX and was very disappointed in the tone. I kind of came to the conclusion that the BLX and SBX are pretty close in design minus the tweeter.

I will give a review of the 212 when it gets here.
  13. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Hate to change the choices here, but the Genz Benz NeoX 212T is 4 ohms. 600 watts. Light.

Fab tone, to boot.
  14. The BLX and SBX have different speakers in them. The SBX has more lowend but at the expense of high end which not needed due to the horn. The BLX has extra high end to compensate for the lack of horn, but at the expense of lowend. The 800 watt version of the 410SBX and 400 watt version of the 210SBX will start shipping next month.
  15. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    Hey Daniel,

Will GK come out with a NEO 210 or is the current line up pretty much stat for now?
  16. We've discussed it here and there, but no 10's are planned right now.
  17. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    ITS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great Cab this is! I played it for about an hour. Its not too big at all and actually smaller than what I expected it to be from reading everyone else review of this cab. The Bi-Amping feature on this cab is my preferred set up. (Why other manufactures have not done the same I don't understand) You can pretty much use this cab alone, it is way loud and actually way more efficient than my last rig, an 800rb and 2 410 GK cabs (I don't remember what they were but they were from when GK used cloth grills)

I'm about half way saved up for the 112, which I see myself using more since my head and rack effects are in an SKB RollX case. I can easily place that little cab leaning on the handle on top of the case and carry my entire mini-rig just about anywhere.

GK ROCKS!!!!! :hyper: