1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Neo 212, tweeter farting out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Waspinators, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    I just got my GK Neo 212-II in the mail, I hooked it up to my 1001-RBII and started experimenting with volume control and such. I've found that when the amp gets a pleasant overdrive from turning up the volume and boost (and turning down the woofer) the tweeter randomly farts out on some notes in a high-pitched buzzsaw kinda noise, mostly on the E string. This is all at bedroom volumes on bi-amp mode. Could there be problem with my tweeter or could I just be pushing it too hard? I'm also using kind of a lousy cable.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Then try a good cable first.

After you have a good cable, make sure all your settings are correct. If plugging straight into the cab with a regular speaker cable...(you are using a speaker cable aren't you?)...make sure you're plugged into the low amp outs and the amp is set to full range. If you're using the biamp feature, make sure you have a properly wired 4-conuctor speakon cable and don't crank the bejeezus out of the tweeter amp control.

When in doubt....RTFM.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, what Will33 said. So in essence, +1 to that^.

4. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Yeah I'm using the speakon, I think I was just cranking the tweeter too much (shouldn't go past 12 o'clock right?).

5. Premierbass

Premierbass Commercial User

May 26, 2011
    Superior, Colorado
    Owner, Premier Bass Guitars
    If the above suggestions don't work, it could be a connection to the tweeter that came loose during shipping. Had one here with the same symptom.

Dan

6. Premierbass

Premierbass Commercial User

May 26, 2011
    Superior, Colorado
    Owner, Premier Bass Guitars
    Also, to clarify another comment, are you using the speakon cable that came with the Neo cabinet? They are different.

Dan

7. Also make sure the speaker is switched to Bi-amp...I know pretty obvious but this is how to troubleshoot. I have a Neo 212 by I changed the speakers out to Faital pro 12...500 watts each so the cab is now 1000 wt 4ohm cab. Killer

8. Are you using the GK speakon cable that came with your 1001? The GB UB212 cannot take advantage of the biamp feature of the GK head and that 4-wire speakon cable, which routes part of the signal to the tweeter and the other to the mid/low frequency drivers. GK's amp manuals say as such. This might indeed be the issue. You need to use a 2-conductor speakon cable for non-GK cabs and turn the bi-amp mode off.

9. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    I'm using the speakon cable that came with the cab, and it's in biamp mode.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Umm....I believe it's common knowledge that tweeters don't perform well when overdriven. You may not want to do that. It's best you turn the tweeter off when dialing in overdrive. You may end up killing the tweeter.

11. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Any four conductor speakon will work, it doesn't have to be the GK one that came with the cab. Also the four conductor cable will work with any cab, the tweeter output will just be open ended.

To the OP, I run my 410Neo in bi amp with the tweeter output all the way off. IMHO the cab sounds much better with out it.

12. That sounds like your problem. Turn the amp to "normal mode" or non-biamp, and see if that gets rid of the problem. If not, then get a normal, non-GK speakon cable (a 2-wire cable) and that should fix the issue as well. Or just plug in a normal 1/4" cable.

13. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    If you use a standard speakon cable, you will damage the tweeter if the cab is in bi-amp mode. If you put the cab in full range mode then any speakon will do. Not many people make a four conductor cable for bi-amping other than GK.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Guys, the amp and cable are fine. He's overdriving the tweeter!

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    He won't be for long. :meh:
    OP, the entire point of the bi-amp capability of the G-K cab is so you don't feed the tweeter a distorted signal that can easily kill it.

16. I have a GK MB115 combo amp. The tweeter makes a similar cracking noise. I just leave it off; I prefer that sound anyway.

17. Exactly, that is why the tweeter amp signal is feed before the boost control.

18. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Not to sound like a dummy but isn't the speakon cable supplied with the cab the type required for proper bi-amping?

19. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Was just lurking - can't stand it anymore though. Uhm, he has a GK neo 212, not a Genz Benz Uber 212.

Now back to your regular politically correct format.

20. Yes it should be. Remember the switch on the cab should be set to bi-amp also or the tweeter amp will not connect to the tweeter.