GK neo 2x12 vs TC RS212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by datsaxguy, Dec 16, 2012.

1. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    Looking for a 2x12, I thought I was really set on getting a GK neo 212 but the TC Electronics RS212 just came across my radar screen.

I'd like to get ur thoughts on the differences in these cabs and any impressions on the RS212 would be much appreciated.

2. I went through the same dilemma a couple of years back.

Ended up with the GK, but I still really like the TC bass gear (gig a classic450)

TBer Vic is a good font of knowledge in terms of these cabs differences.

The GK neo 212 gets a lot of love (as all their 12 based cabs do) around here due to it's evenish voicing, power handling, and light weight.

The rs212 is pretty much described as a rs210 with more meat down low and a little darker on top. Also a tougher schlep due to it's increased depth and weight.

3. Cant tell your amp in your profile, but if I was gigging just a TC amp, I would definitely gig the rs210 x2 with it.

The rs210 gets lots of props as far as 210s go.

Neo cabs have quie a bit more zing on top, if you are into a 'crispy' modern gospel type of tone.

4. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I do like my highs for slap tone and like Eden everything for amps. I'm doing a bit of shuffling with my gear and 2x12 is on my list. These rs212 cabs have been described as "dark" or lacking highs.

5. Hnz

Hnz

Jul 13, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I've owned both the RS210 and the RS212. I now play GK. The TC RS cabs do sound very good, a bit 'vintage' voiced indeed.
    I did not like the cab covering, which is a structure paint that very easily brooses, and stains. Due to the rounded corners and the lack of protecting covers there, in no time there is damage there.
    The vertical design is well thought of, but with any other amp than a class D micro, your amp on top of a stack makes a letter "T" out of it with balance problems as result.
    So' it's not as much the sound that made me decide to trade the TC cabs in.

But I must say: GK rules! Very tight, but warm sound and a good covering of the sound spectrum. Oh and yes, the construction is really road proof.

But to be sure you make the right choise, you'd better A/B the two cabs with your own amp.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021