1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK neo 4x10 w/ backline 600 good for texas country?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by swordofdoom, Jul 19, 2012.

1. swordofdoom

swordofdoom

Jul 19, 2012
    I'm currently using this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Markbass-Mini-CMD-121P-1x12-Bass-Combo-Amp-103837134-i1395927.gc

But something in the amp part of the markbass is messed up and it keeps blowing fuses. So now I'm at the mercy of a bandmate's behringer 4x10 (not exactly sure what model or head is being used). They have been adequate enough thus far for our small venues but we're starting to pick up some bigger venues and I've been looking to upgrade my gear. A guy I know is selling his GK Neo 4x10 along with a Backline 600 bass head. I've done a little research on them and tried to get a feeling for the sound by watching some youtube videos but that didn't really help. Like it says in the topic, we play Texas country with a little bit of blues sprinkled in every now and then. I'm wondering if the GK rig would sound good for that genre of music. I'm looking for just a smooth, warm tone. Nothing too punchy or rockish. The guy said he paid $1000 for it all so I was going to offer $500 without budging on the offer. Is this a fair offer? Or would it be in my best interest to keep looking for something else? If it helps, I play a 2011 Fender American special.

2. Go and try it out! I'm pretty sure you can get that sound out of the rig but the sound you describe sound s more like you need a ceramic speaker cab. Only your ear can really tell you.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I can't even count how many country gigs I've done on GK, Peavey and Carvin gear....it works just fine.

On the GK, keep the boost knob under control, dial up some lowmids, and use the high mid and treble knobs to cut the aggresiveness/attack and you're left with a big, fat bass sound that floats the band.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Oh, and crank up the master volume. Use the input, boost (in small amounts) and the volume on the bass to get a big, strong, but clean and not too aggresive tone. P-bass makes this easy.:)

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Typical used prices for Backline 600s are around 200 bucks, and GK Neo 410s are around 300.

I'd expect 500 is a fair deal but not a swinging one.

Great rig all around.

6. swordofdoom

swordofdoom

Jul 19, 2012
    Thanks a lot y'all. I'm gonna meet up with him this weekend and try it out.