1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Neo 700/112 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jason Hollar, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    Anybody currently using one of these?

The search goes on for a portable, yet powerful amp for practice sessions & small gigs.

This looks like a pretty good choice.

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I use the same thing in head/cab format, and love it. It delivers clear, powerful tone with a huge, solid low end for a 1x12". I've used it for several club rock shows competing against multiple guitars, and it's fine. I barely use my 4x10 anymore because the Neo112 does the job so well.

If you buy it, play at low/medium volume for awhile to break in the speaker. Mine sounded brittle at first, and I thought about returning it, but then I noticed it was warming up and sounding more open with use. After a few days, I knew it was a keeper and I've been happy since.

3. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    Wow -- this thing can replace a 4x10 and requires a break-in period?! Sounds like a high-performance machine!

I tried one of the GK 2x10 tilt-back combos a while ago and was impressed by how fat it sounded.

I'm also looking for the combo to pull double duty when I have quieter upright gigs. I have an SWR head plus 2x10 rig, but it's a little much for certain situations. I'm looking for a one-box combo solution that can do it all.

Thanks for your opinion. How's Philly? I went to Temple U...

4. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    I use the 1001 head and a 112 cab.

Ill leave volume to others, but I really dont think youll be dissapointed. The cabs seem to be voiced very 'forward' in the mix, and sound impeccable.

5. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    well if a neo 112 is enough (i indeed think it IS in many situations), then a 400rb is also enough to power it. just in case you want to save a few bucks.

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think it will be ideal for the mellower upright gigs, because the tone is exceptional at low volumes, and relatively uncolored. Seriously. You won't be disappointed.

I wouldn't say the cab replaces a 4x10, but it's enough that I rarely need the 4x10. I think it could easily replace many 2x10's though.

And Philly's doing just fine! Well, provided you don't think about the Eagles...:rollno: New bass builder has opened shop near Temple: www.callowhill.net. Very cool.

7. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    Wow -- those basses look nice. I used to hang out a fellow's shop on South Street called Bluebond Guitars. Do you remember him? He was tragically killed some years ago. I knew a guy from back in Boulder who owned a few of his instruments...I shoulda bought one when I had the chance.

Anyway, in search of said amp, I visited one of the Guitar Centers in Pgh yesterday. They had a few GK heads (including the 700) but no neo cabs or combos outside of a few anemic Backline boxes. Geez -- they didn't even have Mark Bass or the new SWR Working Pro combos and the kids (supposedly) working there had little idea what I was talking about?!

Might just have to go on faith on order online. That's why I started this thread -- to get opinions on the matter! Thanks for your help!