GK Neo cabs tweeter off?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boristhespider7, Dec 9, 2015.

1. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    In line to get a GK Neo 410 or 212 and i'll be using it with an Ashdown ABM 500 (non bi-ampable) but am just wondering if the tweeter is able to be switched off completely on the cab?

I'll be using the "full range" setting but it looks like the tweeter control can only be reduced to -2dB. Can it be turned off completely? Tend to use some dirt on my amp which sounds too harsh with tweeters.
    Also, this may sound like a silly question but what's the difference between "Normal" and "High range" on the tweeter control? Is normal no tweeter or normal level of tweeter?

Attached Files:

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

All the way CCW (7:00) is oo or off, you can also switch the cabs to Biamp and eliminate the tweeter horn. Normal is a normalized level to the cone speakers, high intends to make the tweeter's high frequencies stand above the cone speakers.

AstroSonic likes this.
  3. High range is simply the label they've given the dial. Normal would be middle of the road tweeter level. Turning it fully to the left turns it off, or nearly so. I believe that if you use an ordinary speakon cable and set the switch to Bi Amp, the tweeter will receive no signal.

4. When you turn the control to where it's shown in your image (fully counter-clockwise - 7 o'clock), the horn is pretty much inaudible.

Bass Dao likes this.
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Do, actually don't do, what I did. Skip wearing the earplugs so you can hear those tweeters Chrystal clear for 5 years straight. Then they'll just magically disappear and you won't have to ever think or be concerned in any way about them again.

I completely lost the ability to tell whether or not the tweeter is on or off in my GK Neo 212.

oaklandthumb likes this.
  6. Oh dude. I'm sorry.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  7. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a G&K Neo 4-10 and am not savvy in the way of amplification...

I have been having a problem hearing my bass on some songs (started a different thread) and many suggested that I boost the high mids even if I have to sacrifice tone. If I am using the speak on cable but switch from bi amp to full range will that engage the tweeters? I never knew anything about all of this! If I do engage the tweeters might that enable me to preserve the basic sound I am looking for but possibly hear the high mids better?
    My apologies if this is a dumb question...

8. The horn is 'engaged' in both biamp and full range modes. In biamp mode the 10's and horn are driven by separate amps. In full range mode the 10's and horn are driven by a single amp. The horn has very little output below about 3 kHz, and so does not cover the upper mids - output is rapidly attenuated by a 3rd order high pass filter and by the natural rolloff of the horn below the horn cutoff frequency. As others suggested, boost the upper mids. Also cut some bass, and possibly some lower mids if they are at all boosted.

9. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    Thank you!

10. B-string

With the G-K NEO410 if you are using any amp other than the G-K RB series (except the 400RB and 800RB) or Fusion with the switch on the cab set to biamp the horn is disconnected from the crossover (1+,1- speakon or 1/4" inputs) and is only fed from the 2+,2- connection from the speakon.

11. B-string

What amp head are you using and what kind of speaker cable?

12. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    I'm using a G&K 700rbII with a speak on...Any thoughts would be appreciated!

13. B-string

You have two choices then with the speakon. 1) Use the tweeter control on the amp to control the tweeter horn, biamp mode on the cab. 2) Switch the cab to full range and use the control on the cab for tweeter level.
    If you used a 1/4" cable the horn will work only in full range, off in biamp.

Where do you have the Contour, Presence controls and the String switch?

14. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    When I get home tonight I will get back to you only because I have a certain starting point that I use for everything and tweak it from there. If memory serves me the contour and presence are dialed way down and the string switch is on 4-string...But I will repost tonight...Thanks!

B-string likes this.
  15. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    Keep in mind that you need to use the speaker (Speakon) cable that came with your (GK-RB) amp, or another 4 conductor version, to be able to use the bi-amp function. Also, if you are using a 4 conductor Speakon cable with the switch set to bi-amp, but DON'T have the GK-RB head (as in the case of the OP), than the tweeter will not be working (looking for signal but not getting any). I'm not an expert on the subject, but that is my understanding from my previous RB ownership experience.

B-string likes this.
  16. To use biamp mode, a 4 conductor speakon cable is used - the cable contains separate +/- wires for the woofer and tweeter. You also need to set the switch on the cab's terminal cup to biamp. Look over the manual for more info. (it's pretty simple): https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...4b04f1bf4bafc51/1419973249985/neo-manual1.pdf

Note that the high pass filter built into the GK biampable heads is set at 5kHz. The tweeter will do very little for increasing the audibility of the upper mids. Your best bet is to use the head's EQ controls. You also need to avoid attenuating the mids. So, don't use the contour control, and don't use more than mild boost on the bass and the treble (accomplishes much the same as the contour control).

17. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    I don't get why you intend to use the "full range" mode, but want to turn off the tweeter? It seems you really should just separate the speakers (by selecting bi-amp mode) and then only use the woofer.

18. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    Hi B-string...I do have the Contour off but I start the presence at around 10 o'clock. I also have the high mids at about 10 o'clock, so I could boost there.

Other settings: Treble at 12 o'clock, Low Mid at 1 o'clock, bass at 2 o'clock, boost on max (I'm guessing now that this should not be but, again, do I lose good tone just to hear myself?) Tweeter at 12 o'clock, Tweeter Hi cut is on (Should turn off?), Woofer on Max (See boost note), and woofer hi cut is off.

You really seem to know this equipment so I appreciate your help!

19. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    That's great, that's just what i was hoping. Don't just want it set to v low level but want to be able to switch it totally out of the chain

20. B-string

@ptg The tweeter high cut is fine, that just cuts things above 10KHz (more cone like sound and less hiss if you have any). Woofer high cut is a personal taste (cuts the highs from the woofer cones). You do need to your high mids (bring that up to at least noon, 2:00 is close to "flat") to cut through the mix. I know it sounds good solo but cut back the bass some, it could muddy the mix that high. Contour off (7:00) and Presence is good.
    Boost by the way affects the entire frequency band (unless you use the woofer high cut), it does not go through the tweeter amp.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    ptg likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021