Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK Neo Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, Aug 20, 2004.

1. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    i got a brochure from gk about 3 days ago and it shows the new 2004 products. it shows a new line called the Neo cabs. they really interest me they come as 1x12, 1x15, 2x12, and 4x12. im thinking of a 1x15 to start with and then maybe a 2x12 in the future but i cant find anything else put about them such as price or when they will be available. i know that a GK employee is a member here and im sorry the name just slips my mind, im really sorry. if you could give any info on these though it would be great.

2. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    daniel, daniel elliot thats your name so sorry again. its ben a while since i was on here

3. How much is the 2x12 gonna go for?

How would it pair up with a 700 rb?

4. They are shipping now. You can get them from any independent dealer except we ran out of the Neo 412. We should have more in a few weeks. GC is not stocking them and will not be able to special order them. I don't remember is Musicians Friend is carrying them or not. If you don't have a local independent dealer, try Bass Northwest or Rik's Music.

List prices are
    Neo 112 $549
    Neo 115 $675
    Neo 212 $799
    Neo 412 $1349

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Daniel, why no Neo 10's?

6. Because they cost the same as the 12's. So a Neo 210 and a Neo 212 would be the same price. A Neo 410 would probably be at least $1299. That and I haven't succeeded yet in convincing Bob that we need them. We have a Neo 810 in the lab that sounds killer but it would be a $3000 plus cabinet. I'd be surprised if we sold more than one per year. If you really want them, send lots of email requesting it and write it on the warranty cards. Bob reads every single warranty card that comes in. Also make sure you list Talkbass.com on the warranty cards as well.

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    What about the 810BLX? Was that scrapped?

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Thumbs up to GK!

Competition with the Epifani UL.... very impressive ;)

What would the RMS handling be for these cabs?

9. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Apparently Norm Stockton has switched from his EBS endorsement deal to GK, and the Neo 12's are gonna be his primary speakers. Interesting. I played through a GK 410 cab a while back, and thought it sounded quite good... will have to test one of these Neo thingies

I'm guessing "neo" refers to the material the speaker magnet is made of?

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    ummmmmm, that's good logic if they also SOUND the same as 12's, which they undoubtedly won't........ tell your boss I think he's strange :)

11. I'm with you on that, but if you had the option of a 210 or a 212 from the same manufacturer at the same price and same power rating, what would most people choose? Would you pay 1300 for a 410?

12. How are the SBX cabs?

I saw a 4x10 for 70lbs on mf, and it looks very intriguing.

Thoughts?

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    IMO a 2x12 and a 2x10 are completely different animals. The only way you can make this comparison is if you consider 12's to sound like biggish 10's. I don't. The 12's I've played through sound more like smallish 15's. I'd certainly compare a 2x12 to a 1x15" but not to a 2x10 or 4x10. They're a completely different target market. Just my 2c.

As for the price issue, I can see your problem. If it were me, I'd keep searching for a 10" with decent performance that costs a bit less. What about using GK's clout to pressure your speaker supplier for a better deal? This is the bit where you tell me you've already tried all that............

14. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Its not the PRICE that is the issue concerning the lack of 10's in the Neo lineup. 410 and 210 cabs are a staple of bass players. I stopped lugging my 410 because my back told me to, but I play it at band practice several times a week and prefer it over my 15's, and 12's. My 210 still wieghs 68lbs...more like 168 loading out at 3am. The light weight Epi 210, 310 and 410 sounds attractive. Price between a 210 and a 212 is not the issue. Prices of Epi's ARE an issue. As long as GK offered Neo's that are reasonably priced, let the players choose speaker size. 10's will stage a comeback soon. Tell Bob I think he is strange too...and it bothers me money is the factor in his decision...I thought it was about SOUND.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm really itching to give the Neo cabs a whirl, except that they don't have the 10's... It's kind of depressing to see Bob holding these bad boys back. I'd take a 10 over a 12 almost any time, and putting about $5000 over the years into GK products, I don't see why I should love anything else.

Now the question, Dan, when are you updating the website?

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dan, great work! Looks so much sleeker than the old one! I love it! If you need any assistance, let me know :)

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    P.S. You spelled Backline wrong in the menu, unless GK changed it to Backliine :)

18. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    When I was sniffing around for a combo amp a couple of years back... the one I really wanted was the RB700 with 1-12"... especially if a matching 1-12" extension cab would've been offered. Unfortunately, it had just been discontinued... and I don't think that there ever was a matching extension cab.

Now that GK is going full bore with 12's in their NEO line, I wonder... could that 1 x 12 combo format come back too? :meh:

1x12 combo sitting on top of a 1x12 extension cab... I think that would be a lot of folks' ultimate mid-size gigging (re: schlepping) rig. I know it would be for me! :bassist:

19. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I am thinking of getting two separate 12" GK Neo cabs. Two reasons: (1) weight of each cab lis less, and (2) I want to use one 12" cab for smaller upright bass playing rehearsals and gigs. These cabs sound great with upright as well. settings. Heard them at a gig and I am sold on GK Neos.

For playing a larger room on electric bass, is there some kind of compromise in sound that is going to happen if the 12" speakers are in separate cabs????? Your opinions appreciated.