Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK Neo212 vs. Schroeder 1212 vs. Avatar Neo 212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kinclune, Mar 12, 2006.

1. kinclune

kinclune

Nov 27, 2005
    Playing a MIJ P/J jazz through a GK1001rb-II, looking for a new cab. Mostly classic and modern rock, but am dabbling in other styles including some blues and sort of folksy stuff. 90% fingerstyle. No large venues. Mostly jamming and just having fun. Like everyone, I don't want mud, and I want to be able to cut through.

Unfortunately, I can't try any of these out. All three cabs have their advocates on this site and elsewhere.

I would appreciate any comments anyone might have, especially those that have A/B'd any of these.

My prioirities are: 1. versatility, 2. value, 3. portability.

GK Neo212 - compatible with amp's biamp capability; 8 ohm 600 W, so could add another cab; medium priced of the three. 64 lbs, has casters, no carpet.

Schroeder - so small but everyone says loud; 1000 W , 4 or 8 ohm; most expensive. Not sure of the real weight of this.

Avatar - 600 W 8 or 4 ohm available I believe; lowest cost (less than 1/2 of the schroeder); largest size, but lightest at 56 lbs.

Thanks!

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I've no prior experiance with any of these cabs but, I have played the exact same head through a gk 410 & 115. The cabs were the sbx series, and it sounded fantastic!

But overall I would go with the schroeder, versitle, loud, and @ 50 pounds it's lighter than some 2x10's.

Jorg says that the 1212 and 1210 are comparable to some of todays top 4x10 cabs.

You might also want to skim through the big schroeder thread thats around here somewhere, you could find loads of info in there.

-Rob

3. The new Schroeder Neos are definitely the most portable of the group. 35 pounds in a box just a bit larger than an Aggie 1x12.

4. kinclune

kinclune

Nov 27, 2005
    On the Schroeders.... 1212 with or without neos? I think tone wise I might like the withouts better as I like it a little more to the low end.

5. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Schroeder...and I'm not just saying that cuz I own one! :D

6. kinclune

kinclune

Nov 27, 2005
    Can you descriibe the tone from the Schroeder 1212? A point of reference is that I did not care for a single Aggie 112, which I guess is scooped and lacked volume.

Thanks!

7. A single Schroeder 1212R lines up very well volume-wise to two Ag112's stacked. The Schroeder line is more mid-punchy than the Ag112, with a little less low bass extension... but is VERY loud. I actually prefer the 1210 since it has a little more upper mid definition, and is still as loud as most two 112 'stacks'. The Schroeder's are very efficient... lot's of sound per watt.... 500 watts will drive the beejebers out of them IMO... and they will take much more.

Jorg has just begun shipping lights this week, so you will have to wait a couple weeks before you get some regular/light comparisons. However, there was a post in one of the Schroeder threads by TBer who compared the 310212 regular and light, and heard the 'classic' neo vs. regular difference that I've noticed in other companies' neo vs. regular cabs... neo.. more upper mids, less deep bass vs. regular.

If this holds true, the 1212L might really be an awesome cab... and would approach the 1210R sound with much less weight. However... pure speculation... but we will know in a couple of weeks as these things start to ship.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd go with the GK Neo or the Shroeder, depending on your preferred tone.

9. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Why not the avatar? I think they are a very competitive choice...

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Just my preference man. Admittedly, it is only based on experience with one Avatar cabinet, but my father in law has an Avatar 410, and it sounds like crap to my ears. Harsh highs, and definitely missing some booty. The GK Neos and the Shroeders I've heard, sound much better to my ears. If it was me personally, I'd go with the GK which for my tastes, sounded better soloed than the Shroeder. HOWEVER, from what all the fans of Shroeders tell me, their strength is how they sound in a band mix, and I haven't heard one in a mix, so can't say for sure I'd go with the GK.

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I get what you are saying. It makes sense. I however have never really been a fan of the GK cabs. Does you father in law have the avatar 410 in the Neo version? Now this is only my opinion, but my B410Neo is the best cab purchase I feel I have made to date. It is tight an punchy with a great response, and it handles the low b of my 5 string like I have a 15 with it, and I use this cab as a standalone. Again, all of this is IMO.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    No...his Avatar is an older version, and I'm not even sure with what speakers. He was very excited when he got it, and I told him..."ehh..I dunno...you get what you pay for I think" The excitement wore off very quickly after he heard a few other cabs, and he now plays Ampeg, while the avatar gathers dust. I'd be curious to hear the new Avatar neo. They certainly seem to have a lot of fans. As far as the GK, I was never a GK fan, until I heard a 1001RBII run through a new 212/115 stack. Now THAT, was a great sounding rig.

13. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    Check out the Genz-Benz Neox 212 if you can, it is one great sounding cab.

Billy-Bob