GK Neo700-112 Combo - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    no one was home yesterday so i had fedex hold it so i could just pick it up but anyways... on to the good stuff! ill try to keep it somewhat organized. so many scattered thoughts!

Construction: very solid feeling yet light enough to manage with one hand. this little beast weighs 55 pounds. GK includes a top handle as well as side handles! my peavey combo which weighs almost twice as much has only a top handle...

Features: the EQ is awsome. doesnt take too long to get use to and is very powerful: low, low mid, high mid, and treble. the countour knob is your basic mid scoop knob, tuning mute is a plus, post eq button so you can choose if your EQ affects the sound man, XLR out w/level knob, etc. all the goodies youd expect except onboard compression which i do miss but oh well.

Sound: very tight and punchy and warm at the same time. the notes have a very balanced feel with no peaks that i can find so far. with the EQ flat it sounds somewhat flat but theres some obvious color in there to spice things up. i love the bi amp feature. since the tweeter has a separate amp you can over drive the woofer for some nice growl. this seems adds warmth to the sound almost like a tube amp. its something you really have to hear to understand its just really kewl. overall it sounds much more aggressive then my swr gear and seems suited for rock.

Finger style: so clear, punchy, and crisp. you can actually dial in the tweeter without it getting to harse like swr or eden. my notes feel and sound so defined. the clarity is unreal with my peavey cirrus tiger eye. this is the exact fingerstyle tone i always heard in my head but could never find on my goliath III/bass 750 combo. somewhat round and groovy but very punchy.

Slap: punch fest 2005! the 12 inch neo is very fast and moves a lot more air then you would think.

Tap: seems to have a bit more authority then my goliath III. ive noticed more punch in every style so far with this combo.

Chords/Strumming: very detailed and clear. chords sound so much better with this then my swr. i think the tweeter plays a big part here.

overall i very impressed. this little guy has so much punch it sounds punchier then my goliath III by itself. ive been playing with my stereo for a few hours or so. ill post another review after band practice next week. :bassist: :hyper:
  2. Hope you post some more info about this combo as i'm thinking of getting one.
  3. paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    i have the separate head/cab of this-
    I think the 112 is way punchier than the 212. i really like the tone of it by itself.

i would not call the distortion tube-like by any stretch though. It's neat in it's own way, and plenty warm but it's a different animal IMO.

yeah it's a nice sound