1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK neo's - would 2x12 plus 1x12 sound fuller/larger than 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rshafer, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Rshafer

Rshafer

Dec 21, 2007
    I'm considering selling by GK neo 410 to a friend that really could use it more than me right now.
    If I do, I would consider going the 2x12/1x12 route next time. I have owned a 2x12 in
    the past with a 500MB. The 410 with my fusion 550 head. I think the 410 fills out a room more, a little more full sounding, but only used that with the fusion not the mb500. Not necessarily more bottom end, just next to a guitar half stack, 410 seems to match up better in a loud rock setting. I realize the fusion plays a part in the fullness/bigness of the sound.

But, by adding another 1x12 to a 2x12 would that setup fill in a big way. Or would 4x12 work the best.
    I'm just trying to decide if I am going to regret selling my 410.
    The 410 is a version II that have been told is a little more solid sounding than the latest.
    Running fusion 550 head.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  2. To do it right, you need an amp that can handle a 2 ohm load.

You would need to use a 4 ohm 2X12, and an 8 ohm single 12 to ensure proper power distribution.

If you try to do it with two 8 ohm cabs, you will be sending twice the power to the single 12 then the speakers in the 2X12.

3. Get one 8 Ohm 212. If you need more, get a second.

Aqualung60, iualum and MattyH like this.
  4. Rshafer

Rshafer

Dec 21, 2007
    You are correct, but a few of the GK guys on here keep mentioning this setup even though the power does not match up. Maybe they will chime in about this.

5. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    I never quite understood wanting to add that 3rd single speaker cab to a cab that already has those speakers in it. I can understand 2 112s, 2 212s, and so on. But adding a single 12 to a 212? In my experience it didn't do anything. You should get the 412. Or what someone said, 2 8ohm 212s.

I'm currently in the market for a 2x112 set up myself. I've heard great things. I'm also coming from years and years as a 410 user.

Omega Monkey and iualum like this.
  6. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Also, a lot of players I've talked to said once they go 12, they'll never go back to 10s.

7. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    They don't know what they're talking about. Respectfully ;) .

MattyH likes this.
  8. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    As always, it's all dependent on which 12s (or 10s or 15s or ...). There's no magic to any particular driver diameter.

Aqualung60, lakefx and MattyH like this.
  9. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Absotively :thumbsup: . The best (& for the most part, only) 2nd box to add to any 1st box is an identical one.

Aqualung60 and MattyH like this.
  10. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    RAG says it is OK. Chef, Tom B, and a few others have run this way with good results.

=wr=

Mike A likes this.
  11. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Fine. I stand by my response :D .

As noted in post #2, if the 112 is 8-ohms, the 212 is 4-ohms, & the amp support a 2-ohm load (which yours doesn't), it'll work. But w/both boxes being 8-ohms (or 4-ohms, for that matter) it's almost no different than a 410/115 set-up w/both being the same ohms. The 212/112 does almost nothing that the 212 can't do on its own.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    MattyH likes this.
  12. Rshafer

Rshafer

Dec 21, 2007
    Maybe lets back up a minute and get opinions that with Gk cabs:
    410 sounds fuller/larger than one 2x12 cab
    two 2x12 or a 4x12 single cab will sound fuller/larger than the 410

All running the same head, a GK fusion 550.

13. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Certainly.

14. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't know GK cabs but I usually run a Bergantino CN212 and for louder gigs I add a 112.

It's more of the same tone with more volume so works exactly how I want it to.

As has been said, a 4 ohm 212 and an 8 ohm 112 will give a 2.7 ohm load to the amp and will balance the volume evenly across all speakers.

I like the modular aspect, so IMO 3 12's is a great rig.

15. I had this setup for a while. 1001RBII with a neo 212 and 112. The main reason I did it was flexibility. For really small gigs when I wanted to travel light I would just use the single 112 with my MB200, for medium sized gigs I would use the RB with the 212. If I wanted even more volume I added the 112 on top of that. It did sound quite good and will work just fine as long as you don't push it too hard. Is it ideal? Probably not due to the uneven power distribution.
    I ended up getting rid of the 212 in favor of another 112 as I preferred the portability and tone of using two 112's stacked vertically. If I were you I would start with a single 212. If that is not enough add another one.

16. It's nice of you to want to help out a friend in need, however, I'd keep the 410. You'll regret unloading it. Don't get me wrong, I love the GK NEO 212's. I have two of 'em. But why unload a perfectly good 410 if it works for you? Unless you're loaded and are willing and able to throw money around it just doesn't make sense. Good luck.

17. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    If a 212 isn't enough the 412 is gonna blow doors, speak out and take names. If you like lifting heavy....
    I thought of running a 212 and a separate 112 by using a second small amp for the 112. But more to get a tonal variety instead of more volume. If I wanted more volume it would be a 412 or two 212.
    I have been experimenting a bit using an ART a/b/y switch, a Traynor SB500H and a SB200H. Can get a real variety of tone that way. With this setup I could easily do what you refer to - 1 212 and one 12.

18. Rshafer

Rshafer

Dec 21, 2007
    I hear you. This is my dilemma. I'll help him out, but in the end it is going to cost me money when I need a cab again. So I was considering the merits of changing to 12's to 'justify' the additional costs. But no, I'm not made of money so any new purchase will be felt.

19. Michael Sayers

Michael Sayers Guest

Jan 26, 2015
    N/A
    Funny, we were just talking about this the other day on another thread. Unless you want to start bi-amping, running different ohm speakers or using switches with separate heads, then keep it simple.
    Same cab (make / model) x 2

MattyH likes this.
  20. I've been using the GK MB212 for a while and I sold my 4- 10 rig for it. I had a chance to play 2 of these stacked (4 -12"s, 1000 watts total of 80 lbs) and the sound is amazing. Yes, the cabs couple very well. I suggest trying a pair of GK 2 12's before you get the 1 -12. I think you'll like it....

s