1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK or Ampeg cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GTH007, Mar 13, 2016.

1. GK neo 112 ii

22 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. Ampeg svt-210AV

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    Should i get a GK neo 112 ii or an Ampeg svt-210AV? Which would be a better cab? Which would go better with a GK mb fusion 500 amp head?

Wouldnt the 210 be louder than the 112? The 210 is cheaper so if its just as good as the 112 or better im going to go with it.

spaz21387 likes this.
  2. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Where will you be using it for?
    Because the 210AV is a great sounding cab IMO (I really love mine), but it won't be enough for Doom/Metal gigs...

Sartori likes this.
  3. What'll you be using the cab for?

I'd go with the Ampeg, personally, though I tend not to get cabs that small. I don't go with a single-driver cab unless it's a 15"

4. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Upfront: I've backlined a number of Ampeg cabs over the years, but never the one you mention so have no experience with it, and am slightly biased in favor of the GK Neos (moreso when RB heads are concerned) - see my current setup in my profile...

I'm also not one to blindly follow power ratings, but if I'm not mistaken, keep in mind that the Ampeg is rated for 200 Watts RMS, while the single GK is listed at 300. Again, take these numbers with a grain of salt because there is much more to the story than that, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that the Ampeg will provide more volume just because of the additional driver/slight increase in cone area.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  5. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    This is a decision for small gigs and practice guys. I play hard rock, funk, and all other kinds of rock. Which single cab will work best for now? I can always connect another cab in the future.

6. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Both are great cabs, but neither rig would cut it for me at rehearsal or small gigs (assuming those gigs involve drums). I'd either go with two of each or go with a bigger cab. The GK NEO 212 is fantastic as is the Ampeg 212AV if you prefer the Ampeg tone (which I do by a small margin). Either of those cabs with that head should cover low-med volume gigs

Fingerpickingood and kap'n kro like this.
  7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Sadly, this. It comes down to drummer volume, but for even a moderately loud drummer I'd expect you'd need to double up.

That MBF500 can put out enough power where you might be in speaker damaging territory if you aren't super careful, and given the volume I'd expect you to get out of either cab on its own, I don't think it would be hard to find yourself in that situation.

As noted though, either doubling up or going with a cab that can handle more power is a good idea.

The MBF500 is no doubt a great amp, but as far as overall rig is concerned, have you considered trading down less amp for more cab?

Fingerpickingood likes this.
  8. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    So what does the cab wattage vs the head wattage mean? Do they have to be equal, one greater than the other?

9. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    It's mostly a rule of thumb, and some companies measure things different than others. With that being said, my understanding is that on the cab side, the number is generally the amount of watts the cab can take consistently before thermal failure.

However, actually playing music through a cab isn't consistent. Lots of peaks and valleys. I generally understand that most cabs can handle peaks around double their RMS rating without immediately failing, though speakers can fail for lots of other reasons when pushed too low/hard as well.

The flip side of that is that amps usually are able to put out peaks that are also around double their rating. Which is why watts are at least somewhat of a usable starting reference as to POTENTIAL issues.

I say potential, because of course the amp has a volume knob. But if you aren't careful, an amp with a higher rating is at least more capable of damage.

With a 200 watt amp into a 300 watt RMS rated woofer you'd probably have to try real hard to damage the cab, though it's probably still possible in extreme circumstances.

With a 500 watt amp (especially one like that MBF that will do EXACTLY what you tell it to low freq.-wise, good idea or not) into a 200 watt rated cab... persistent vigilance will be necessary.

10. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    It doesn't really matter. I just know, based on my experience, I like to have lots of cab behind me. When I do, I can use low powered amps and they do just fine. I gigged a Mesa Walkabout for years and that is an amp many find to be "not powerful enough". I did it through 412s and never got it above 10:00 on the volume dial. My main amp now is a 100w all tube and it smokes through the same cabs. Before that epiphany, I was playing smaller cab setups with powerful amps (750W!) and struggled to keep up with a hard hitting drummer.

You have a great amp - through a 212 (or 410), you could cover a LOT of ground. Like I said before, the GK 212 NEO and Ampeg 212AV cabs are some of the best mid-sized cabs out there and they aren't all that expensive either.

11. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Just out of curiosity, have you acquired the amp yet? Judging by your other threads, I assumed we were still talking hypothetical - and I remember you were on a tight budget.

For the record, in the past I've happily gigged with 380 watts amp-wise into two 12s. In fact, amp-side I probably could have made it by with less.

It's been said pretty often, though cabs are definitely more important when it comes to volume.

12. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I regularly gig with my amp pf350 and an 210av in my classic rock group. The band is relatively mellow and not too loud though. I couldn't get away with that even for practice in my Judas Priest tribute band.

13. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    Thanks for the responses guys. I have not acquired the GK head yet, but was highly considering it. I will most likely get a better cab like you guys are suggesting, and get less amp as well.

14. What other heads have you considered? There are a lot of great heads out there so don't limit yourself to GK
    although they are one of the best. Fender,ampeg and carvin have some nice heads as well as cabs that will give you a lot of bang for the buck.

15. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm personally a fan of using two tall stacked cabs - for small footprint purposes and to get more speaker closer to ear level, though in your situation given that a 2x12 is usually cheaper than two 1x12s, I think the GK Neo 212 is a very solid recommendation.

I know you're still deciding, but for a bit of additional unsolicited advice, if I were in your shoes, had $800 for a rig, and some affinity for GK like it seems you do, I would visit rmcaudiodirect.com and REQUEST A QUOTE on a GK Neo 212.

With the remainder I would then scour Talkbass classifieds, Craigslist, and Guiter Center's used selection for a used 400RB iv or 700RB ii depending on remaining funds and selection - maybe even an MB500 (though admittedly I've lately been more of a fan of the RBs).

With any luck, you'd end up with a rig that can handle just about anything within reason and PA support.

IMHO and YMMV and all that.

16. The 210AV is a medium duty sealed cab, much above bedroom level I suspect you will be boosting bass and blowing those 10's. IMO, YMMV.

17. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Cab wattage is the thermal rating; the maximum amount of power the drivers handle without burning.

The amp wattage is the maximum output power of the amp; that particular head puts out 500 watts max at 4ohms and 350 watts max at 8 ohms.

However, it will only reach that output if you turn it up loud enough.

Don't worry about trying to make to make the wattages equal and just keep in mind that it's still quite easy to damage or destroy drivers with less wattage than they're rated for, especially if you're boosting a lot of bottom end.

Trying to drive a single commercial 8ohm cab at hard rock gig volume with an amp that puts out 50 to 100 watts more than the cab is rated for isn't a great idea; more than likely you'll wind up damaging the cab.

More speakers will almost always give you more volume than more watts.

Two of the GK 112's paired with that head would make for a light weight, modular rig that would cover everything from coffee shop gigs to hard rock club shows.

18. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Great choice on that GK Fusion 500 instead of the 800 for your needs, a few of the 800s are flipped because it's too much power for their needs, I got away with a GK 400RB for over 20 years and its power is less than the 500...

chiplexic likes this.
  19. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    I really want the fusion because of TUBES! So, im pretty much narrowed down to 2 options.

-Option 1: Gk Mb fusion 500 head, Gk neo 212 ii cab.(or 2, 112 cabs linked)

-Option 2: GK mb212 ii combo amp

With option 2, i would be saving around 200$. Option 1 is used gear.

20. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    If you want a good amp or cap, get ampeg. It's simple. :thumbsup: