1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK or Carvin Mini combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Randy S, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Randy S

Randy S

Jul 7, 2008
    Western WA
    I hope to buy one or the other in the next few months.

Either in a 1 15 or a 2 10 configuration.

Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks...

2. I prefer the tone and value G-K provides. You may like the Carvin more, or like G-K more.
    If you buy the G-K from a source with a liberal return policy and don't like it you can return it and try the Carvin (10 day return policy IIRC).

3. mournblade

mournblade

Nov 19, 2006
    Roanoke, TX
    I played the GK 115 combo, I liked it for what it was. I have no experience with the Carvin.

4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    There's at least one huge thread in this forum on the Carvin micro combos. Worth reading.

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I too prefer the sound of GK, so I'd go with that.

6. fabubass

fabubass

Jan 13, 2006
    Can't go wrong with GK!

7. Jarrett

Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    Waxahachie, Tx
    I use GK and Carvin amps and Carvin cabs. I'm pretty sure I would be equally happy with either.

The one thing I will say about the Carvin amp versus the GK is the Carvin has much better EQ'ing. If you have a bass and cab that sound great without much EQ, then its a wash. But if you run into a situation where you need to cut/boost certain frequencies or even like to run flatter, the Carvin works much better at this than the GK's.

8. Randy S

Randy S

Jul 7, 2008
    Western WA
    The best bass sound I ever had was on a GK rig. So, even with the price difference, either one may be worth the extra bucks to go with a GK.

One concern is that only the 2 10 GK allows for the use of a non powered extension speaker.

The GK 2 10 is almost double the Carvin 2 10.

Has anyone been able to directly compare?

9. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    My two main amps right now are GK and Carvin. I first owned a GK in the mid 80's. The only amp that has sounded better to me than GK, IMHO and IME, is Carvin.

Can't go wrong with either.

10. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Double the money you mean? I would put my Carvin BRX2x10 Neo 600W up against any 2x10 out there.

11. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Don't know if this helps Randy, but I prefer the sound of the G-K unit over the Carvin. The only reason I went with the Carvin was that it was smaller: I knew from the dimensions that it'd fit into the passenger seat of my small commuter truck and not risk blocking my side view or hammering the dash/glove box on bumpy roads. That was the deal-maker for me. For me, it's the perfect solution for auditions, and for larger venues where bass through the PA is assured. A compromise, yes, but it nets out positive in light of all the factors that apply to my situation.

12. I've played through the GK micro amps and they sounded great. I think you would be happy with one of them. I own the Carvin MB 15 however and am quite happy with it. By itself its great, but I bought the 15" extension speaker and its like a whole other amp. Its lightweight and the eq section is great. I get a great sound with my Thunderbird and Lognhorn, but i'm struggling with the settings for a good sound with my new u-bass. Not the amps fault, I need to get a preamp for the piezo in the u-bass.