Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gk or swr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigfro, Nov 22, 2001.

1. GK backline 112 combo

23 vote(s)
    65.7%
  2. SWR la-15

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  1. only these two, i've argued this over and over and i'm not taking any more suggestions. the la-15 has:
    15" speaker + piezo tweeter, 100watts
    the gk backline 112 combo
    12" speaker, 140 watts (i kno they say 100 but i heard the measurement is off and the measurement is actually 7/10 of the standard)

just these two, which one is better, more bang for the buck, better tone, overall, everything.

2. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    the backlines are pretty new - i haven't heard anybody on the board talk about them yet. you'll have to get to a guitar center or something, try them both out, and buy what your ears tell you to buy. ;)

3. i can't try out the gks, the local guitar center "has never even heard of that line".

4. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    I've checked out the local shops LA series...they're sorta blah IMO.
    Never heard the Backline stuff so...good luck!
    I'm guessing I might go with the GK. I'd want to hear them first though!!!

5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    The GK has a lot of tone shaping features as well as an overdrive circuit to play with, although it doesn't have a tweeter like the SWR (I wasn't impressed by the SWR tweeter though, anyway). I've never tried it, but I would probably get the GK.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm not at all a GK fan, but to my ears the SWR LA is kind of a dog. The Workingman amps seems better to me.

7. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    all the music stores by dont have the gk backlines. ive tried the swr la's and i didnt think that they were all that. try an ampeg.

8. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I hated the BACKLINE 115, and I love GK gear. It didn't get very loud or low, and was overdrived easily. It was expected though, since it ws such a low powered head. I would look around a little more.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    neither, my ears dont care for the sound of swr or gk.

If it were me, Id still shop around, but its not, its your money, so buy whichever sounds best to you.

10. The Backline 110 and 115 combos are just okay. The 112 is actually pretty darn good and does not need a tweeter. It's a pretty bright driver. Which GC did you visit? The backline is pretty much a mainstay in the GC line. I can give them a call on Monday and see about getting one to them.