GK or Trace Elliot?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StingRay5guy, Nov 21, 2004.

1. StingRay5guy

StingRay5guy Guest

Oct 14, 2004
    I've been debating this subject for a while now and it doesn't seem to be getting better. I'm looking for a 4 10 + 1 15 full stack. I've played through the GK setup and it gives a great sound. It's also all that my bass instructor uses because he's endorsed by them. Although I've played through a Trace Elliot 4 10 and it gave me a great sound as well. I just can't really say which one fits better. I know GKs are very reliabe and that's what is leaning me towards it but i'm still not sure. Any help would be nice.
  2. zoran

May 10, 2002
    I've played through both, and GK is much better choice with my stingray IMO.
  3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    OK, I have also played both. GK has a nice sound, its as reliable as anything else, and you can still buy it new with a warranty.
    That being said, I still prefer Trace Elliot. TE equipment has never let me down. I don't worry about having a warranty when I buy TE stuff. If it works right when I purchase it, it probably will for many years to come. The sound ofcourse is the signature TE sound. I love it. The tone shaping on the GP12SMX preamp is just awesome. It has a built in compressor that actually works! I have played through many of their cabs but prefer the 1524 (2x15) cab. It has serious punch, really deep smooth lows, and a high end that is best described as crisp and clean.

You will here from people who love GK and those (like me :D ) that love TE. Both are good, one of them is better for you. In summary, its all up to you. Good luck.

BTW, check my sig for the whole rig.
  4. I play Ernie Ball MusicMan basses exclusively and I have a GK rig. I feel like the GK stuff really blends well the the EBMM basses. I have played a Trace setup with my StingRay and it didnt sound as good to me as my GK rig.
  5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Sounds like you can't go wrong either way. I have a GK rig, my jazz and my Thumb both sound great. I think when you can get two very different basses to sound really good through an amp it speaks well of that amp.
  6. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Yes, but of course your biased. :spit:
  7. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Do you really need a 4x10 AND a 1x15?

TE is no longer around. Gibson bought them out and shut them down, and most of the team ended up at Ashdown. Any TE you end up with is going to be used.

In my experience, TE heads are more colored and GK is more hi-fi. What you choose is going to depend on whether your cabinet(s) and bass need the extra coloration from the amp head or not. Both companies make solid gear that lasts a long time, and both sounds are well liked by a lot of people.

One thing in favor of TE is that the SMX amps have got what is IMO the best compression you can get for bass outside of a well stocked studio, as well as a great EQ.

Personally I'd go with GK because I don't like the idea of developing a "sound" that includes the TE. If you have to replace it, you're going to be in for a couple weeks of ebaying and/or scouring the local stores if you want the same thing. If you got the GK and it died on you, not only would it be easy to replace but you could go with something else if you wanted and not sound too different.

Of course there's always the option of using a Bass POD Pro and a power amp. It does a decent job of modeling both amp heads.
  8. Not really. I have the same like for my amps and cabs as every other man and woman in here. I just happened to like them enough to get an endorsement. I dont endorse GK because their gear likes me, its because I like their gear.
  9. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    GK is very reliable and still around. That makes me say GK. I really love the Trace sound and had an AH400 for years. I also went through the GK gamut of products as well until I decided on Eden.

Out of the two I would go with GK just for service reasons alone.
  10. genderblind

genderblind Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2004
    TRACE, hands down.
    Even an AH 250SMX will give more punch and power than a 400 watt ANYTHING. Try one of these through the more compact 1153 and 2103H cabs for 1-15 and 2-10 glory. My Stingray lives through this rig in tones from zingy to warm to dubby.
    An SMX pre will give you that great 12 band EQ and a myriad of tones, plus the great compressor. Colored??? Yeah, any color you want!!!
    So they are used - great deals now, as many people stick by the misconceptions thrown around by people who can't get a good tone out of a great bass and a pre-amp with 12 bands of EQ, pre-shapes etc.. And, they are built like tanks.
    How many great records were recorded using Trace gear? Do Tony Levin, Pino Palladino, and Doug Wimbish all have the same tone? I think not!!!
    Best of luck!!!
  11. If you have a Stingray, the combination with the GK sounds awesome...
    I'm not a TE(except V series) fan but if you like the sound go ahead.
    Either way, you can't be wrong. GK and Trace are completly different sounding amps, they have their own thing.
    As said Joshua:"...it's all personal preference...".Tuff for us to say what fits you the best, but if you like your teacher's GK rig, you'll like yours...[​IMG]