Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, May 13, 2004.

1. Is anyone running a GK head through Peavey cabs? How is your sound?

Also, what does watts program mean? And is it safe to run it near that amount of wattage for long periods of time?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
  2. I have a GK 700 RB II, and I usually run it through a Mesa 6x10 4 ohm cab. It sounds great.
    However, I also have a Peavey 1820 cab (for sale by the way), which has an 18 and 2 10's, all black widows.
    It sounds good, but I prefer the MESA BOOGIE.

Program power is the amount of power it can handle for long periods of time. So it should be safe to put the specified program power into the cab.
  3. xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    im running a 1001rb II into a peavey 410 txf cab. The sound is pretty good, i like the lows it has.

The other night i used my friends ampeg 610 and it totaly blew away the sound im getting from my peavey. Im not even really a fan of "the ampeg sound" but i think compared to this cab my peavey really limits my heads potential.

I don't really have anything negative to say about my peavey cab, for alot of gigs it and my head would be perfect but im playing in a hardcore band w/ mesa and 5150 half stacks so i need something bigger.

4. I thought RMS Continuos was the amount that could be handled for a long period of time.

Such as 400W RMS Continuous, 800w program
  5. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Doesn't the tweeter amp in the 1001rb II only work if you use it with a GK cab with a Speakon cable?
  6. Yes you need to run a GK cabinet if you want to use the tweeter amp.
  7. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Not to steer anyone away from a GK cab, but any cabinet can be wired to work with with a GK amp, tweeter amp and all. However, doing this mod will likely void your warranty, and you may end up preferring the original sound. I recommend trying it if you're curious, but either leave yourself the old 1/4" input in addition to the correctly wired speakon, or not making a permanent (read: hard to reverse) change to your cab until you know which way you prefer.