1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Players: Input Overdrive or Power Amp Overdrive?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Mar 4, 2008.

1. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Fellas,
    The "perfect tone" is eluding me on my 400RBIV. I'm looking for a GeddySteveHarrisEddieJackson kinda overdrive. Should I be pushing the input gain stage or the power amp with the boost control? The problem I'm having is getting the right overdrive without disturbing the neighbors and losing my hearing. I would be interested in hearing what you guys do.
    B

2. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    i really don't like the sound of the preamp overdrive - much prefer the sound of the boost control around 75%. if you need more than that, i'd try a pedal.

JR

3. BrentSimons

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Can I ask what you have your input level and master vol at with the boost that high?

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    On my 2001RB I typically just use the overdrive channel on a very mild setting. That said, when I want to push the clean channel to overdrive (which results in a VERY different sound than the aforementioned overdrive channel set low) I set the boost control to 75% or higher, slight cut on the bass and treble bands, and slight boost on the low mid and high mid bands. Always does the trick for me :D

5. BrentSimons

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Thanks Guys,
    I'll give it a try!
    B

6. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I just started playing with overdriving my 400RB-III recently and thus far, it's been running the boost from between noon and 4. I am still experimenting, so I don't have a preference quite yet.

7. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    this thread is pretty interesting...

if I listen with the ear close to the cabinet, I feel like the drivers are going to explode when I push the boost really high.

So I rolled back the boost a little, just about 11-12 o'clock...

8. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Explode as in you're driving them too hard? If so why don't you just keep the boost high and the master/woofer volume set lower? :confused:

9. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    i like the input around 9-10 o'clock and the master around noon to 2 o'clock.... if i do need to turn down, i'll lower the master and keep the input and boost where they are.

JR

10. I run my 1001 pretty much exactly as JGR's. My boost is also around 12 o'clock.

11. Mastersonics

Mastersonics Banned

May 31, 2004
    Paradise!
    Remember that this is an approximate setting and
    all of this can change depending on pickups (active or passive) ,
    strings (nickel or Steel)
    and if you play with a pick or not etc...

My settings is almost like JGR says (boost as high as 3pm)
    depending on bass I'm using and pickups etc...
    I find it this setting to get me the best results.

If you need more drive then get a Tech 21 Bass Driver
    and you'll be in bass heaven

hope that helps
    regards,
    Charles

12. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    On my 700RB, I keep the master at 12:00 or higher... but never lower, and the boost at 2:00. I use the volume to control my volume until it's gets up to about 10:00, then I'll start pushing the master up. Once the master starts going below 12:00, you start to lose growl, no matter what the boost is at. To my ear, on the 700RB, there is a real sweet spot with the master at 12:00--3:00, and the boost at 2:00.

I hate the sound of the preamp overdriven. To me, this is why many think the GK's sound brittle/sterile.

Ljazz

13. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    oooo and one other thing. The volume is post the input stage, so there is no variable input gain control. If you're clipping at the input, you need to either push in the -14db pad, and/or turn down the volume on your bass.

Ljazz

14. ^ I'm going to try that at my bands next practice, I've never had the master over 9.00 so maybe turning the volume right down will get the amp to not be too loud.

At the moment I'm only using the boost for some growly breakup.

I want to look into using sealed cabs too.

15. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    no, I mean that the sound that comes from the speakers sounds a bit like a fart. And that's not power amp clipping... to me, that sounds strange, but maybe I am wrong.

anyway, I always thought that GK amps DO have variable input gain, if not, what's the VOLUME knob for??!!!

I am going to write a line to GK about the boost control.

16. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    All GKs (at least that I know of) have a solid state power amp. Most of the time, this is not the sound people are looking for. The input gain causes a different boost (a bit thin) than the boost knob. The boost at about 2:00 or farther can be quite nice for a Geddyesque growl.

17. Thought I would contribute my findings to this old thread. I found out yesterday after playing GK's in studio in the late 80's & early 90's & only recently keeping one long enough to discover how to use the boost control to get a desired change on purpose. It's probably been mentioned somewhere else but heres how I use it. The input volume (gain) has to be set fairly high on my current GK amp a 400rb3 ,around 12 oclock for me to hear any effect with the boost control. I like the boost control around noon as well. I use the master volume next to the boost as well my master volume & I get a variety of fur around the edge of the sound that warms up the tone & gives what GK calls G.I.V.E. tone or growl to the overall tone of the amp, just by adjusting plus or minus just slightly from 12 oclock either input volume or boost until its effect is either too much or barely noticeable. I'm using it with a Bag End s15d cabinet soon to have a carpenter friend build me another cab for a Bag End speaker I bought. It sounds great, & will probably sound better with the VT Bass V2 pedal I just bought.