1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK players (what GK cabs do you use)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RwG, May 12, 2006.

1. RwG

RwG

Mar 24, 2006
    orlando, fl
    Yesterday my new 1001RBII arrived. I can already tell I prefer it over my Ampeg SVT 4Pro. The clarity and punch is amazing. and the power!, the ampeg has 1200 watts monobriged and the 1001RBII has 700, but I think the GK is louder and has more power. This thing is great.

But now, I was going to keep my ampeg cabs for a while then get some GK cabs later on. but i want to do it now, however there is no place that i can find where i can try out the SBX, RBH, or Neo cabs. I've thought getting the 410RBH as a stand alone cab or a sbx115 and sbx 210, but i've also considered getting a 212 neo and a 115 neo (or 2 212 neos).

I'm playing a G&L L2000 and my band plays stuff like incubus and stone temple pilots. What cab/cabs do you guys recommend for the most punch and clarity?

thanks

2. goody658

goody658

Nov 15, 2005
    I have a the same head as you 1001 rb-II and i run the 4X10 RBH and its tops

It has alot of power and the tone is really good. I have never played a gig with the volume past 4( allthough i DI into the PA) but at 4 everyone can hear me clearly,it has good bottom end with out getting muddy or lost in the mix.

Also with my Fender Jazz i get some really good growl, the eq is very sensitive and a little adjustment goes a long way.

I have had it only about 6 months and am just beging to find my sound.

I can't wait to turn it into a growl machine when i get my Thumb 5 bo :bassist: but thats another story.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Of all the GK cabs I've heard, I was most impressed by the Neo 212.

4. bagman

bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    I had the same issue 4 months ago. Read all the great reviews on the GK web site, could not try any thing but the SBX 410 or 115.

I ended up with a Aguliar 412 cab, this the the cab. Try one, with GK 1001 RB II, it will move a lot of air.

Let us know what U deside. LOL

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Why do people feel like they have to have amps and cabs that are by the same company?

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

Because they have an endorsement deal! :bag:

Btw, a Neo 4x12 with a 2001RB head.

7. i once played through a gk 115rbh(i think... it was gk 115 of some sort) and it sounded absolutely terrible with my j bass. i was pretty upset seeing as it was the stage equipment for a jazz competition.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Gks work particularly well with GK cabs bc of the biamp stuff.

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    It's easy enough to mod other cabs to utilize the same feature on the GK heads. I think there is a thread on it here.

Still, I think it has also been said that the difference is negligable.

Back on track - the neos look enticing! :)

10. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    I have a GK RB1001-II with 1 SBX410 plus. I love it! It is a totally different cabinet than the RBX or the NEO (the SBX is not ported, is closed) so it has more middle definition and less bass IMHO.
    It was the best system I found for fingerstyle funk. Just Aweseome and loud!
    I will probably later add a SBX210-II. I would love to add another 410, but it would really be too much for me.
    With a SBX210-II, I can just take it to smaller gigs, take just the sbx-410 to medium gigs and take both to big ones. :D