1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK - possibly ruined my gear...help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Terry-MaQ, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Just switched on my 1001rbii and neo 2x12 setup for the first time since the last gig (Tuesday); the attenuator for the horn and the biamp tweeter volume DO NOT work.

I accidently let someone use my cab with the GK 4 conductor cable and left the cab in bi amp mode.
    The cable itself is fine I just checked it out with a little tester unit.

I know I have damaged the unit in some way...
    What exactly have I done to the horn?
    Is it blown?

It still produces a tiny bit of volume but it appears to be at a fixed level of attenuation. Please help me out guys.

2. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    pull the grill and see if the speakers have smooth travel. I had a GK once that had the voltage regulator blow which sent straight DC to the speakers that melted the coils to the magnets good luck

3. Did they use your GK head or did they use something else? I think that would have put full power into the cross over section which probably blew a fuse if it has one or killed it.

4. As a GK user and fan I have to say that these special GK speakons can be a pain in the a$$. I have other cabs but don't use the GK cables with them. I also have other heads but if I want to use my GK cabs then I have to use other cables. A royal pain. Basically I have to have 2 sets of cables for my cabs. And that's assuming that I am understanding the use of GK speakons with other products correctly. :meh:

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If the bi-amp wiring mode bypasses the crossover there's a very good chance you blew the horn. It's not something you can easily test yourself. Take it to your local repair shop.

6. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    So the Neo 2x12 is a GK product?
    Wired like the GK RBH with crossover bypassed when using GK head and GK 4-wire cable?
    And you let someone use your cab with your GK 4-wire cable?
    And their head has a speakon jack?
    If yes to all these, your horn MAY be toast.
    I depends on what (if anything) his head has connected to the speakon 2+/2- terminals.
    If you toasted your horn it's no big deal. Take it in and get it fixed. It's less than $100.

7. Cheers guys, all useful info.

I'm getting it fixed free of charge (payed for by the gig organisers), so at least it wont burn me directly.

To Geddyfleaharris, I actually have a jack to speakon lead that I keep in the rack case and forgot all about :rolleyes:
    So stupid of me!!
    But yeah the bi-amp is great but that deal with the cable is a pain in the ass.