1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Powered Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigLoopDuke, Oct 13, 2017.

1. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    Quick question - If I have a GK MB212 combo, I'm able to connect the 200watt powered 115 cab to it, right? Does this cause any significant issues?

I'm in the process of searching for a 212 powered cab to compliment the combo (both would be 500 watts), but I tend to see the 115 more frequently.

2. This, straight out of the MB212 Manual.

Rear Panel
    Chain Out:
    This XLR output sends all EQ and
    volume settings to Gallien-Krueger MBP
    series powered cabinets. This connection is
    made with a standard XLR mic cable.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...29f8327a/1419973439015/mb-ii-combo-manual.pdf

IMO The MBP212 would be the best match for sonic similarity reasons. But the MBP series of cabs, as I understand it, are made to work with any GK amp that has the Chain Out.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  3. I agree with OGB's comment above, if I had a MB212 for the best match I'd also pair it up with an MBP212. For anyone wanting to buy a powered MBP cab, they can also be driven by the G-K Plex Preamp.

TD

4. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    Good to know. If it's passing the volume info too, then I'd assume the 115 would run underpowered.

5. The XLR out of the GK Chain out is the same going to any cab.
    The powering of the cab is done by the internal amp.
    Even if underpowering a cab was a real thing rather than some myth started by a guitar head, "it can't happen here."

There will be some disparity between the two because the combo is a pair of 12s and 500 watts whereas the external is a single 15 and 200 watts. But you still get the advantage of having the 15s SPL and driven from a seperate amp.
    But if you look at it like two 12s, each getting 250 watts and one 15 getting 200 watts. I imagine the SPL per speaker will be fairly close across all three.

6. I also have the MB212, but looking for additional low end (not volume). Do you guys think the 15" speaker would add more low end than 2 12"s ??

7. Sorry considering another 212mbp vs 115mbp.

8. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    I wouldn't think so.

Dominic DeCosa likes this.
  9. For 'more' low end you will need an Active powered Subwoofer.[ not just powered] I have a Roland D-BASS 115X[discontinued] which can be used full range or as a Subwoofer. I don't know if there are 'Bass Guitar' purposed Sub's out there. To get high quality low bass get's expensive 1k+; loud high quality Bass much more.
    Pseudo spec's by manufacture's are useless; the low notes need to be at at same SPL as rest of the frequencies your going to play at. The amp/speaker may be able to play a 32hz note but at such low volume and high distortion so as not to be heard or felt above the 64hz and up frequencies. If you just want 'louder' bass this is reason for extra Cabinet this may also give perception of 'lower' Bass to most listeners. In my experience the 212 with extra power will be better at giving that perception. FYI A Subwoofer is designed for frequencies below 80/100Hz and not to be substituted for Bass Guitar Cabinet. A bonus is if you use Sub's interior active xover before Main Amp it also helps with dynamic range and lower distortion of whole Rig. [ main amp/speakers won't need to reproduce below 100Hz where most power is needed and smaller speakers distort signal]