Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK problem???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve_man, Mar 24, 2004.

1. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    For the past couple of weeks I've noticed a crackle coming from my GK 700RB 210.

It sounds like it's not liking any volume levels below a certain level. When I hit my strings softly the amp starts sounding as though it were clipping.

A few weeks ago it was not very noticable (you'd have to play very soft and you'd get it but as soon as you opened up and started plucking hard you wouldn't get it).

Now this week I was playing. When I plucked normally I got this crackle (but again when I started to pluck hard it would go away).

I was talking to an amp tech and he said it doesn't sound like anything normal.

I'm thinking of bringing it in soon. Would anyone have an idea what this could be?

The only thing I think it could be is the outlet that the amp is plugged into is not supplying enough current.

2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Could this be the problem that's come up a lot with the 700RB: failing solder joints on the pots? You hear a lot about this happening with the original series.

3. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I do have the original.

4. I have a 700rb head and it seems to be very sensitive to moisture. When I leave mine in the car(or another place plenty of humidity) when touring, I have to warm up the amp before to play, it about 10 or 15 minutes. Once the components are dead dry it sounds perfectly, otherwise the sound is just like your bass needs a battery change; distorded awful sound. It doesn't seem to be your problem, but watch out!! Moisture might be good for skin, it's not good for gear...:D

5. I am scheduled to recieve my new 700RBII, via FedEx, tomorrow.
    I hope that this is not a common problem with the new series.

6. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I've had the moisture problem before and it is not that. Totally different crackle. It does sound like as though the battery in my bass is going. only one problem my bass is passive therefore no batteries.
    ;)

1tallbassguy:

I wouldn't worry a whole lot. Improvements have been madeto the second generation and it's not like 50% of htese amps are defective (there's no way they'd stay in business!). I feel sorry for some of the amp people around here especially Dan Elliot. Putting up with all those angry and annoying my amp is defective posts (kinda in the context of my post :D ). You see these guys taking the bullet for a couple of minor circuit blunders. Ahh, I think most people are satisfied for the most part. :)

7. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Check out the pre-amp board. If you dare take it apart you may find that the contacts that attach the pots to the board are not properly soldered. As your amp warms up, the metal moves a bit and contact is made. The metal moves back when it's cold. If that's the case, it's not hard to fix (take out the board and touch it with an iron and a little solder or, better yet, take it to a tech).

This was my experience with my 700RB/112 and in no way identifies your issue, but it's plausable.

If you don't want to take an iron to your pre-amp board, GK will sell you a new pre-amp board with the mark II voicing for about $80.00.

8. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    80 bucks?

What additional features does that board include?

9. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I forget, what's the difference in the voicing? I've looked at both manuals and the difference isn't obvious from the EQ specs.

10. The mark II series is warmer than the mark I. And the preamp board has higher quality pots with additional bracing to prevent damage from vibration. Functionally, it's the same as the mark I. A new preamp board might be the ticket with your situation.

11. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I've been thinking about it.

How much would it cost to have the power section upgrade aswell? Can I get my amp tech (that's registered as a GK tech) to install it rather than having to ship this from *CANADA* by air.

What does the problem sound like to you Dan?

12. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Found out the problem. My tech went by yesterday and said it was the power within the building: possibility of bad grounds and sometimes insufficient building.

Other than that he said I had the best sound bass & amp combination he's heard in a long time.

Maybe I may look into a power conditioner? or at least a surge protector.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Surge protector alone is basically useless. A power conditioner MIGHT help, try something akin to a simple furmal PL-8 first to see if the basic EM/RFI filtering alleviates your problem. If it is truly bad power, you might have to step up to a true power REGULATOR to solve the problem (different from a CONDITIONER, and a bit more expensive. Furman's regulators are frequently on Ebay and you can sometimes catch a deal if you watch closely.

14. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Bummer,

A preamp board would have been a lot cheaper than a new building. :p