GK Question: RBX vs. SBX vs. Neo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tash, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Had a chance to play with an 1001RB II this past weekend. I really liked the tone it had but was underwhelmed by the cab used (Ampeg 810). Price and size issues alone make it a no no for me.

There are a lot of threads here about the various offerings from GK but I was hoping for a more conscise breakdown of what each cabinet line has to offer. From what I gather the SBX is the "budget" line, the RBXs are the top shelf cabs, and the Neos offer lighter weight and apparently a more characteristic sound.

Whats the real deal on these and what would be a good pairing with the 1001RB?
  2. Outlaw_son

Mar 8, 2007
    I rock with the 410 RBX cab and run it with the 700rb-II. This cab is an all-around exellent sounding cab, and head for that matter. I play anything from rock to r&b to blues to funk and I can achieve any tone I want to with them. Deep lows, sizzling highs, smooothness. I cant tell you the tonal differences between cabs but i can tell you the rbx series is good solid stuff. I would pick the RBX series over the SBX series anyday.
  3. treebranch13

Oct 31, 2007
    SBX has been discontinuted
    RBX replaced it, they are good cabinets, just not prolevel like the RBHs which are the proffesional cabs.
    the NEOs are an alternate line that are of amazing quality.
  4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    The "budget" lines are the Backline and Goldline series. The Goldline is an aluminum-cone cabinet series. They sound better than Backline cabinets to my ears, IMO. But still not quite my thing.

The SBX used to be the "middle range" line of cabs. They were sealed, and more similar to traditional sealed cabinets. They've been replaced by the RBX series, which is ported like its more expensive relatives. I've heard very good things about the new line, but I've never tried one; I haven't seen a local shop that carries them yet, since they only came out last year.

The RBH line has traditionally been the "cream of the crop" for GK cabs. Bright, punchy, and aggressive mids. The Neo series is fairly new - it's only been around for a few years. IME, I think these are on-par with RBH cabinets, although they have a different sound to them, and they're a bit lower in price. They tend to have a more balanced, fuller tone, and they're surprisingly lighter, smaller, and louder than most other cabinets (especially compared to the bulky RBH cabs).

Honestly, anything from the SBX, RBX, Neo, or RBH line would be great with a 1001RB-II. It's really just a matter of budget and personal taste. I'm biased towards Neo cabinets, if you haven't noticed. Not only do they sound great for classic and modern rock, but they eliminate the need for a roadie. :D
    Gospel Bass Player likes this.
  5. HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    I'll second the Neo's. I run a 1001rbII through a neo 212 and it's just the bee's knee's!:bassist: Before getting the 212 I had mostly just played through 10's (not gk's), but now that I have played the 212 I will never go back - it really does cover both the 10in. and 15in. realm. You can get a huge bottom end, in your face/grindy mids and edgy treble - if you choose. Since the head is so versatile you can get any sound you want. Its quite easy to go from super warm Dub to grinding mids rock/metal to....whatever people play with a trebely tone. The tweeter can be a bit noisy/sharp, but the speakers do a great job with the treble anyway so I just barely turn it on. Whenever I need to get another cab (or afford it for that matter) I will definitely be getting another neo 212!
  6. ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I'll third the Neos. I've never liked any 12's I had in the past. But the Neo 212 matches up nicely with the GK heads. I too think it covers what the 10's and 15's do. I'm glad I gambled on them. And the cab is extremely portable. C'mon.... 64lbs for a cab that sounds as good as the 100 lbs cabinet it replaced!!!??? and it sounds even better! I'll probably pick up another one in a month or so.

7. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    Neo 212's are 8ohm right? It doesn't seem right to play the 1001RB into just 1 8ohm cab...
  8. koentje_bassist

Jun 24, 2006
    Don't get biased by judging the SBX-series as being 'cheap' or 'budget'. These cabs are decent and represent the GK sound very good. I did not have the chance to test RBH, RBX or NEO cabs, but I have played with other brands and I must say: the punch, the attack, the growl... was all in the SBX 410 and 115.
  9. brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    I recently bought the 1001-RB2 with a Neo 2x12 and a Neo 1x15. Great rig. I love the Neo cabinets. They're solid, great tone, and so much lighter than what I was used to. I think the 15 matches very nicely with the 2x12. I have to carry my rig, so the weight difference between the Neos and other cabinets is important to me, and I don't feel like I'm sacrificing sound quality at all.
  10. 98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    If you decide to go for a neo 212, here's one for $300:

Are you only looking at GK cabs for a reason? I'm sure you could also find a good deal on a used Ampeg 610HLF or 410HLF, either would sound great with that head (I run mine through the 610HLF that I picked up for $550).

Also, you could consider Avatar cabs, I've never tried one, but would have gone with them based on all the good reviews if I wouldn't have found my Ampeg cabinet.
  11. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    They're LOUD cabs. They have even higher sensitivity ratings than the RBH series.

I'd love to try my Neo 212 side-by-side with a 410RBH... It'd be interesting to see which cab ends up being louder using a 1001RB-II. :D
  12. bassko

Nov 10, 2006
    You wouldn't, because you would be deaf before.:D
  13. Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    I think my next (soon) rig will be the 1001 rb and the Neo 412 cab...
  14. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Tonawanda, NY
    I own the Neos and I'm happy with them. I've never played the RBH or RBX. I've only played the Backline, Goldline and SBX at music stores. I wasn't really impressed. I've had bad luck with aluminum speakers so Goldline would be the last on my list, plus I'm not a fan of the way they look at all.
  15. boglej2

Dec 3, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    i own a gk 700rb 210 and i'm thinkin about adding a cab, i'm pretty sure its a 115 for me, can't decide whether to go for a neo or an rbx, and after all the praise for the 212 neo i feel even more confused, ne help greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
  16. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I'm using a 100RB II with 1x15 and 1X12 NEO's. It's solid, loud and LIGHT (which means a lot at a 3:00 in the morning load out !!):bassist:

I tried the SBX 1X15 and 2X10 with my head, sounded similar but weighed more...... I'm a NEO man.
  17. BadBass3233

Jun 27, 2008
    I'm trying to make a final decision on a cabinet. Besides price and weight are there any differences i should know of between gk neo 410 and their RBH 410
  18. Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I'd personally go with Neos
  19. i'm currently playing through 700RBII and 2 112 neos

by far one of the loudest and most definitely lightest rig i've ever owned

so yea

get the neo's