Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    can you use a GK 800RB head with a GK 1x15RBH cab?

it says the 1001 is made for the RBH cabs. will the 800RB still work fine with the RBH cab. does the 1001 sound "better" with the RBH? :help:

2. You could use the two together just fine but you wouldn't be able to amplify the tweeter and speaker separately as you could with the 1001. I doubt you'd seriously be sacrficing any thing though.

3. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    cool i just ordered the two from musician's friend. the cab is in stock and the head says 42 days!!!!!!! they said they had one in stock so i hope it's mine. if not it could take a while. i'm just out of college and i have a good job but i like musicians friend because i use my mommies credit and get no interest for 12 months :) . i hope that thing is in stock.

4. That'll be a pretty sweet setup. Adding a 2x10 would make it even cooler.

5. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    does anyone think i should buy the 1001 if the 800rb is going to take a month? i would go somewhere else but.....no interest.

6. I use a 1001 (1st gen) for my big rig and 400 RB IV at home and for smaller gigs. I really like both of these heads. They make it easier than any other amp that I've played through to get my sound. If you're into the GK sound then you couldn't go wrong with any of these. Depending on your power needs, of course.

7. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I agree with the last post, I gig with a 1001rb and 700rb (both are the first old series.) No issues, no complaints, just nice beefy lightweight amps.

8. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah i wanted the 800 because of the whole classic standard thing. but i don't know if i can wait that long.

it looks like on musician's friend they are priced the same.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You can use the RBH cabs with the 800RB, but you can't use the speakon cables.

10. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    speakon cables? lol. it turns out i'm getting the 800. will there be directions with this thing. i just read some post where a guy blew his amp up hooking it up wrong. i'm a pretty smart guy but.....

so when the 800rb and my 1x15 RBH get here in the mail is there anything i need to know besides plug the wire in the back of the amp to the hole thing in the back of the cab and play with the knob thingys till it sounds cool? :bassist:

i would appreciate a little direction.

11. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Don't plug the high and low outputs into the same cab. That'll toast it pretty fast.

12. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    :eyebrow: :confused:

13. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    you can only use 1/4" speaker cables with the 800rb (well, on the 800rb end anyways)- the 115rbh has 1/4" or speakon. just make sure your 115rbh is switched to full range and that you plug into the low end/300w amp and you'll be rocking.

14. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    will it come with both speakon and 1/4? how do i tell the two apart?

use 1/4 cables NOT speakon cables

is there a switch on the cab? i switch that to full range?

plug into the low end/300W on the head?

anything else?

thanks peeps.

i can't wait to rock and melt peoples faces. :bassist:

15. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    To elaborate:

DO NOT plug both the 100 Watt and 300 Watt amps into the same cabinet. That'll toast it pretty fast.

16. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    so on the back of the amp there will be a 100watt hole thingy and a 300watt hole thingy. i use a 1/4 inch cord from the 300watt hole and connect it to the cab which i will switch to full range?

will it come with both speakon and 1/4? how do i tell the two apart?

use 1/4 cables NOT speakon cables

is there a switch on the cab? i switch that to full range?

plug into the low end/300W on the head?

anything else?

thanks peeps.

i can't wait to rock and melt peoples faces.

17. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    There will be two outputs on the 300 Watt amp and a single output on the 100 Watt amp. The minimum load for the 300 Watt amp is 4 Ohms, whereas the 100 Watt amp has a minimum load of 8 Ohms.
    Yes, you'll connect one of the 300 Watt outputs to one of the inputs on the back of your cab, which should be set to full range. You'll also want to look on the front panel for the "full range/biamp" switch, and make sure that it's out for full range operation of the 300 Watt amp, as indicated on the front panel next to the switch [​IMG]

The head will not come with speakon cables. It will probably not include any cables at all (except the power cable, of course), so be ready to go out and buy one, or at least have one on hand when the thing gets there if you can't wait.

You won't have a choice, so yes.

Yes, you'll switch both the cab and head to full range.

Yes, you'll connect your cab to one of the outputs on the 300 Watt amp.

Nope, that should do it.

No prob. :)

18. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    here's the back of the rbh cab... you can see the switch and the speakon and 1/4" jacks... and on the back of the 800rb there'll be two sets of 1/4" jacks, one labeled "speakers lo 300w"- that's the one you'll plug into...

19. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Be sure to use SPEAKER CABLES and NOT regular instrument cables. Regular instrument cables will do bad bad things to your amp.

20. You know, this is why Talkbass is so awesome. No offense, Bayou, but you would be SCREWED had not you posted this. A buddy of mine fried an 80s GK making errors. I would hate to see that happen again.