1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK RB amp and Bergantino HS210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MJKay92, Mar 28, 2009.

1. MJKay92

MJKay92

Mar 28, 2009
    Hi all, this is my first post on TalkBass and don't know if a thread similar to this already exists, if so I'm sorry.

I'm a bassist who's considering upgrading his rig to compete with a drummer and a guitarist with a 100W amp. Right now I'm running a 30W practice amp which has less bass than the guitarist's amp!

I'd like an amp which I could play in small bars/clubs with and need a little advice on amps I could buy. I play funk, indie and alternative rock the majority of the time.

I'm liking the look and sound of some Gallien Krueger RB amplifiers I've heard. I'm wondering about the possibility of combining a Gallien Krueger 700rb-ii or 1001rb-ii head with a Bergantino HS210 or another 210 cabinet. Some specs taken from the relevant websites:

The GK 700rb-ii will output 320W at 8 ohms or 480W at 4 ohms.
    The GK 1001rb-ii will output 460W at 8 ohms or 700W at 4 ohms.
    The Bergantino HS210 cabinet is rated 8 ohms and 400W RMS.

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_rb_series.html (The owners' manuals section of the website was where I found the 8 ohm information)
    http://www.bergantino.com/images/hs210h_web.jpg

-Considering that I might want to add another 210, 112 or 115 cabinet later on, would I be better off buying the 700rb-ii or the 1001rb-ii?
    -The GK amps are advertised as 4 ohms, but the manual also gives a wattage for 8 ohms. Will the amp output at 8 ohms when only a single 8 ohm amp is connected?
    -If I chose the latter amp, would it be dangerous to run a 460W amp into a cabinet rated 400W RMS?

Since I'm a newbie as far as this amp tech goes, I'd love any suggestions about setups which would be better than the above ones. I've never purchased an amp and cabinet separately before!

Thanks! :)

2. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hi. I have a GK 700RBII and a Bergie HT112. This little rig kicks ass and is very moveable. The 700 is barely enough power for the Bergie. I'd like to have another 112 to stack if I wanted but not really necessary for me. I suggest two 112 cabs and a 1001. That rig would kill it. Rock on. Bob

3. MJKay92

MJKay92

Mar 28, 2009
    Awesome, thanks for the advice!

Do you think I'd be able to run a single HT112 cabinet on the 1001rb-ii until I had the money to add the second cab? Since it's 300W RMS, and the head outputs quite a bit more wattage than that. :oops:

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    GK + Berg made me settle down on amps...

5. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    You'll be fine. The GK doesn't put out it's maximum wattage unless it's really cranked, and you'll be able to hear your speaker struggling well before that. As long as you pay attention you'll be fine.

6. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    And the Berg loves power. Don't forget that the IP112 works with 500W@8ohm.

7. MJKay92

MJKay92

Mar 28, 2009
    Awesome, thanks everyone for the advice. :)