Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK RB vs. RB II series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BloodTypeBlue, Feb 15, 2006.

1. BloodTypeBlue

BloodTypeBlue

Feb 15, 2006
    Baltimore
    Can anyone tell me what the difference between the GK RB series heads and the RB II series heads is? I'm interested in the 700, specifically. I seem to remember that the RB IIs sound more organic and "gritty," but can't seem to find anything confirming this...thanks!

2. ravlin

ravlin

Oct 12, 2004
    the new preamps are noticeably warmer, a little less bright, and less harsh. the new power sections puch a little more power as well.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IIRC there was little or no change in the preamp, only the power section and cosmetics.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    That's right. I have both 700RB and 700RB-II. The EQ was re-voiced, and it does sound much warmer. (I was told this by e-mail from someone at G-K.) I think the "boost" control sounds better on the new ones too. And the power upgrade, while not huge on paper, makes a big difference. I bought the Mk. II just to have a backup head, and was stunned at what an upgrade it is. The Mk. II makes the Mk. I sound almost like a practice amp in comparison -- and the Mk. I is no slouch.

5. harry manback

harry manback

Jul 19, 2005
    I tried the rb700 (mk. I) a few days ago with my setup and i loved the growl i got. So, the mk II is suppossed to sound better? Also, is the only difference between rb700 and 1001rb the watts?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I belive the II will sound better, and yes the 700rb-II and the 1001rb-II will be the same except for the power.

I plan on getting a 700rb-II once i get the funds up this summer.

7. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I am sorry to say....but the 700rb II and the 1001rb II are NOT!!... the same power.The 700rb II is rated at 480 watts at 4 ohms and the 1001 rb II is 700 watts at 4 ohms!!!...and even comparing the 700 rb II to the older 1001rb.The 1001rb still has more power, its 540watts at 4 ohms and the 700rb is 380 watts at 4 ohms.
    If you want to know for your self check out www.Gallien-krueger.com and they will have all the info about each head right there for you to look at.:p

8. I think he said what you're trying to get across CE...:confused:

9. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    The revoicing of the preamp occured after the 1001 rb II was already in production. If the amp has the latest voicing of the preamp, it will have EO6 in the serial number.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im really confused, what i said was in no way confusing, they are the same EXCEPT for the power.

Any better the second time around?

eh?

11. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Hey Figjam.....I am sooooooo Sorry about that i miss read you statment....I thought you had said that they have the same "EXACT" same power amp.......I guess i sould have read it more carefully.Hope you will forgive me for that....oh and if you are wondering about "eh"...it is a canadian thing...it has the same sound as a long A.....Canadian eh?:D:p...and agian i am really sorry about the missnderstanding,hope there is no hard filling,all the best...Cheer's Mate;)

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've owned both the 1001rb and the 1001rb II. I played the 1001rb for over 2 years before buying the II. In short as compared to the 1001rb IMHO, the II has a slightly deeper bottom end that's still very articulate, an overall warmer tone, and extended refined highs. Ofcourse, there's also a noticable amount of added volume and punch due to the power upgrade.

:hyper: :eyebrow: :hyper: