GK rb400 vs. rb400-III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mtjames, Dec 7, 2004.

1. mtjames

Dec 7, 2004
    Hey, first post... ok right now I'm playing an ampeg v-b6 (weird old solid state head... don't see em much) with a sunn graphic eq through an ampeg 8x10. Always been fairly satisfied with it. I recently had the opportunity to play a friends gk rb400. The tone was just infinitely more what I wanted than the ampeg was giving me. Way more growl to it, much more defined. Plus they're very much in my price range (200-250 used). So I think I'm gonna unload the ampeg/sunn contraption and find a rb400... ok enough rambling, get to the actual question...

Has anyone played both the 400 and the 400-III? Are there any noticeable differences in sound? Or is it purely a wattage thing? I would imagine they'd sound pretty similar, but I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get any surprises if I got a III. Thanks.
  2. I think that you will find a few differences in the rbIII in that it may have the 4string/5string button which changes the voicing from the 400 rb (or 800rb) voicing to a deeper one. Also the rbIII has a balanced line out which the rb does not.
  3. The 400RB-III is a little brighter and has more low end. The the warmer 400RB-IV sounds closer to the old 400RB but with the low end of the 400RB-III. Other advantagas with the 400RB-III and 400RB-IV is the variable contour and presence control and the 4/5 string (deep) switch as opposed to a practically useless low cut.
  4. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I still have an old 400RB (mid-eighties model). It's solid as a rock.
    I've heard rumors that the recent stuff is not as reliable. YMMV.
  5. TVD

Jul 14, 2004
    Well, my GK 400RB-IV has been solid as a rock so far, and i have no reason to think it won't continue to be. From all i've read, it appears that GK had some trouble with one amp for a bit and that suddenly gave them the "new stuff is unreliable" rep. I myself think it's bs to try and hang that label on this company, cuz it hasn't been their history, and dosen't appear to be their future. Maybe people should do research or have first hand experience with their new product before posting "rumors". That really annoys me somehow. I'm totally happy with my amp. Trent
  6. nathanmcnathan

nathanmcnathan Banned

Jan 25, 2008
    Barrie, Ontario
    I have the oldest 400RB model, and it's great. Really warm sound for SS IMO, and I got mine used. The people I bought it from were in a gigging band, and it looks roughed up on the outside, but everything's still perfect on the inside. Great volume and tone, and really reliable - great from an amp that's about as old as me!