Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK RBH 410 & 1001RBII - HEAD SLIDING OFF!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteelPastor, Jun 27, 2005.

1. SteelPastor

SteelPastor

Jun 27, 2005
    I recently picked up a GK 1001 RBII and a GK RBH 4x10 cab... Great sound!

One practical problem...

I want to use the cab in the tilt back position but still have the head on top of the cab... it slides off because there is nothing holding it in place.

I am thinking of a few solutions... 1) Velcro? I don't know if this will work or not. 2) The underside of the head has holes for screws already drilled in it. I am assuming for rack mounting or some such. I am thinking using "L" brackets of some sort to go on the bottom of the head and hook on the edge of the tilted back cab.

Does that make sense? Other solutions?

2. My vote would be to not drill into your amp or cabinet :)

Could you set your amp on something else?

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Replace the FRONT feet on the bottom of the head with really big rubber ones, available at any Radio Shack store. Tilt the cab back, then place the head on the cab, with the two oversized front feet hanging over the front of the cab, keeping it from sliding backwards.

4. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Unless you get a combo with the head mounted inside the cab, I always thought the design of the stand alone slanted cabs a little impractical. I would hate to have to bring a stool or something to put the head on top of. Probably just easier to get an 8x10 and have the speakers right in your ears? Just thought I'd do some venting! The rubber feet sounds like a good idea.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I thought I saw something somewhere just for that, I think it's even made by GK. It's a bracket that holds the head and hooks onto the front of the cab.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I did the rubber feet thing with my old tiltback eden cab, and it worked out fine. That would be the way I would go about it.

7. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I had the RBH 15 and 2x10, there's not much of a footprint when tilting back. Just wondering if you do get the head to hang over the top would it cause the cab to roll over backwards?

8. how about not tilting it back.

and just crank the volume :bassist:

9. We used to have some clips that hold the amp in place. We may still have those around here somewhere. Contact lany in parts and see if she can send you some.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Lany is cool. She always was really helpful when I had to order control pots and knobs when I broke mine off.

11. SteelPastor

SteelPastor

Jun 27, 2005
    Well... Just in case anyone else has a similar question...

GK DOES make brackets to do this very thing. I spoke with Lany at GK and she was a great help. Problem solved! Thanks for the help.

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've tried everything:-

Velcro works for a while, but I could never find a good way to attach it to the amp head. The self adhesive stuff wears out very quickly, and I was reluctant to use glues or drill into it.

I considered using clips but couldn't come up with anything that could easily attach to the head without drilling into it.

In the end I settled on self adhesive rubber feet. If you use enough of them, each foot does less work and is less likely to break off. I also added a row of them to th very front of the amp's underside so if the amp is tilted a long way, I place them over the edge of the cab as you would if you had clips.

13. SteelPastor

SteelPastor

Jun 27, 2005
    The brackets from GK screw into holes in the bottom of the head (they are already drilled). Then the bracket slips over the edge of the cab. Looks great... works great... and bullet-proof! I think they were $7.00 for the pair plus $2.00 shipping. DONE!