Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK rig or something else 4 $1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mezzone, Jan 4, 2005.

1. mezzone

mezzone

Jan 4, 2005
    I'll get straight to it. I'm interested in buying a Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II and 410 SBX Cab to upgrade my current rig(peavey TKO115 and Fender Lyte Bass) I just wanna know is there anything else in this price range you's could recommend ($800-$1200) and how relialable is GK gear as i've headrd some horror stories about their amps frying while onstage in a gig Thanks for the help

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Personally, I would prefer one of the Carvin BRX rigs with the B1500 head. Right now, I think the one with the head and the 2-12 is $1000, and the one with the head and the 4-10 is $1200. www.carvin.com

I have the B1500 head and prefer it to any G-K I've played. It appears to be built very solidly also. Jorg Schroeder (of Schroeder Cabinets) also uses a B1500 and likes it. I haven't played the BRX cabs, but I've heard good word of mouth.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'll throw in a vote for GK. My 700RB-II has been rock solid and has excellent tone. See for yourself by doing a search on GK and especially the 1001RB-II which is the higher powered version of the 700RB-II, no differences but power so all the good stuff about the 1001RB-II applies to the 700 as well. The SBX cabs I have little experience with but liked them well enough in the store. Are you near a Guitar Center? I'm sure they'd have a SBX and at least a 400Rb-IV which is similar to the 700/1001RB-II amps and sounds for all intents and purposes the same. Go with what your ears and wallet tell you brutha.

4. Go with the GK and dont look back. That 700RB-II would sound great with an SBX under it.

5. I am using the B1500 for outdoor gigs, pretty nice amp, for indoor events I am using an AI Focus with delight.
    The B1500 is a solid amp, I just wonder why Carvin's new neo bass cabs are weighing in @ ~ 110lbs.

6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Another vote for GK. I'm about to order a NEO cabinet myself from GK.
    Already have the 1001RB II. Never looking back. I have a Demeter for studio stuff, for a live rig I may have made my final amp head purchase from what I can tell using the GK amp so far. I know, never say never.

7. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'm an admitted Carvin bassaholic, but decided to go with the Gallien Krueger 700RB-II and SBX cabs for amplification.

Haven't been disappointed. Love the tone.

8. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    GK 1001RB & I"ll tell you why.
    Dependable: I've had mine 7 years now, no problem at all
    Cost: Very good for the money
    Sound: I did a head to head with my GK vs Eden & the Sansamp
    less than a week ago just looking for a new tone but the GK had
    identical sound vs all 3 on at least 4 different cabs with 3
    different basses. I've decided to get another bass not an amp
    Control: Simple, which is underrated vs. complicated amps with
    more knobs. It makes it easier trust me. I find the right tone
    primarily with my bass first & slightly tweak my GK knobs to get
    it where I want to
    Thats all I feel like writing, its a good amp.
    By the way, some people complain about the popping when you turn it on & off, they are fools who don't turn the "Woofer" knob all the way down to avoid it.
    Feel free to PM with questions,
    Mike

9. tat2d_13

tat2d_13

Feb 4, 2004
    Minnesota USA
    One more vote for the GK!Ive had my GK800rb since 98.It was a floor model from guitar center and I havent had a problem what so ever with it.Ive played it through many cabs with it,play out with it all the time and its never failed me and it sounds great!Just my opinion.

10. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Another vote for the GK. I've used 400's and 800's exclusively for a lot of years until I recenty bought my Genz Benz. GK's are totally solid with great tone. Pick up an 800 or something similar and give Marc a call at www.drbasscabs.com for a few inexpensive cabs. You will not be disappointed.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    At the high end of your price range, you could score an Eden WT-400 and a 410XLT. In my opinion, the Eden rig sounds better than GK. I think it may have to do with the tube pre in the WT-400.

-Mike

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    They're not *quite* that bad--they actually range from 83 to 99 lb, depending on the model. But still, with neo drivers, you'd expect them to be lighter. What I've heard is that they took the weight savings they got from the neo drivers and sunk it into building the cabs extra solidly. That was the theory anyway, FWIW. In any case, more weight than I can comfortably hump down my skinny stairs.

13. Actually, there's a fix for that popping when you turn the older 1001RB on and off. Contact GK Customer Service and they can help you find a service center to take care of that. It shouldn't cost too much if anything at all.

14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Just wanted to toss in an extra comment that my series II 1001 turn on and turn off is totally quiet and uneventful. Apparently GK changed some things on the newer series, as well as adding more power. I have heard from some posters here that the series II has a slightly improved tone over the prior releases as well for what thats worth.

I had one reliability issue with a VERY OLD 400RB with the sound cutting in and out, but it was only one out of 3 or 4 GK's I had over a span of 25 years. I even had the ancient 400B model that had a much bigger chassis and different look altogether, that amp lasted for years with zero problems. Matter of fact, I think the predecessor even to that was a model called GMT. Daniel Elliot can you confirm that? These had side aluminum pieces to the chassis that were actually the heat sinks with black plexiglass front panels. Anybody remember those? Sorry for highjacking the thread. As long as I have, Dan, another question. Does GK use Eminence speakers like many other manufacturers?