Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK sbx cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Apr 3, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Can anyone answer some questions for me??

1.Its "made" in USA write?

2.What is the wood in it?

3.How much difference is there compared to the RBH series?

4.Can these handle serious low tuning???

2. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes, they are made in the US.
    They are made of plywood. (don't know what type)
    They have stamped frame woofers, which sets them apart from the RBH series which have cast frame woofers and more power handling.
    The only difference between the Backline and SBX series is the addition of a tweeter, the bi-amp crossover, and the cabinet is made of plywood instead of MDF.
    I wouldn't think the low power rating would make them a cantidate for extreme low tuning.
    I did some extensive auditions with GK stuff recently. The dealer had a 210/1001 combo, 410 Backline, and a 115 SBX. I went back and forth, listening to the overall response of each. I turned off the tweeters to compensate for the Backline's absence of a tweeter. (And I don't use very much tweeter in my playing anyway.) The 410 had a noticable "overhang" of notes: it sounded a little muddy and less clear than the 210 RBH. The notes blended in with one another in an effect I didn't particularly like. The 115 had some kind of weird distortion that sounded like something was blown or creased. It was hooked up to a 1001-II head that was giving it way more power than it could handle. I figured some adolescent slapped and popped it one time too many at too high a power level. Not too encouraging to see a damaged piece of equipment being sold as new at GC. So, to sum it up: The 410 Backline (essentially an SBX without the tweeter) sounded muddy and slow compared to the 210/1001 combo (essentially a 210 RBH.) The 115 SBX (which isn't sealed, BTW) was dead in the water after suffering abuse on the sales floor. I actually bought a 1001rb-II, a 210 and 115 RBH and kept it for about a week. I returned the whole rig because I couldn't get my sound dialed in. There was an inherent harshness that was always present. The volume was impressive and for slappers it might work well. However, I play old school r&b fingerstyle and it just never sounded the way I hoped it would. Plus, another surprise was that the 210 and 115 would not lock together when the 210 was placed on top of the 115! There were all these fancy interlocking corners all over the cabs, but they didn't line up!! The 210 literally almost fell off the 115 as I was playing it. GK needs to go back to the drawing board on this.

3. The SBX cab is a US made product, although as with ALL us made products, some of the components come from other places. The cabinet is made from 9-ply poplar. The RBH cabs are big, and punchy sounding while the SBX is Tight and warm. The RBH is louder but the SBX has better control, particularly on the lowend. It's a result of it being a sealed (non-ported) design. Jimmy Earl and Robben Ford's current bassist, Dewayne Pate, chose the SBX over the RBH.

We've been spending a lot of time in the lab lately with the 210 and 410RBH cabs redesigning the speaker. Expect some changes next year with the RBH. In the meantime, the Neodymium series is about to go into production.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Woodboy,
    I own the 1001RB 2x10 combo and the 1x15RBH cab. If you look at the way GK cabs are cut they appear to be laying on their side (to me anyway) compared to all GK combo's. If you turn the cab on its side (wheels off the ground) the cabs will lock. thats what I do. I have gigged with the cab in both positions and never had the combo move on me!

5. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Pyrohr,
    There was an insert in the instruction manual that showed GK's recommended placement of the 210 on top of the 115, which showed the 6-sided face being down. Turning the cab on it's side and using one of the small rectangular sides as the bottom, then placing the fairly heavy 210 on top of that made me nervous. That seems to be a very small footprint to support such a tall and heavy tower. I guess you'd have to knock it fairly hard to knock it over, but it sure seemed unstable to me.