Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK/Schroeder Dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by needmoney, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Okay, after realizing that Schroeder cabinets are now available in Australia. I threw my plans of getting a 4 ohm 410RBH (to go with my newly aquired 1001RB-II) straight out the window.

I plan on getting a Schroeder 21012 in the coming months for an awesome stand alone cab. The main benefits over this cab over my original decision, were the weight (75lbs as opposed to the GK's 92lbs), the frequency response (35Hz as opposed to the GK's 50Hz), and just the fact that so many people are happy with their Schroeder cabs and I have seen barely any people who don't like a thing about them.

Now, my dilemma came when I realised that in purchasing a Schroeder, I would be sacrificing the ability to utilize the bi-amp feature on my new GK. I love the fact that you can get a nice growly tone from the main woofer using the boost knob and still retain a smooth top end with the right settings.

So I thought I'd get everyones opinion on this. Is it worth sacrificing this function to get a cab which is clearly superior in every aspect? I mean, the Schroeder still has an attenuator, so I'd still have some control...

What's everyone think?

EDIT: I just thought I'd add that I can get the Schroeder 21012 for about 50 bucks cheaper than the GK over here.

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I don't it will matter much.

Just show your guitarists who's boss :D

If ya find out you need a little grit in there or something go get a sansamp DI pedal or something.

-Rob

3. SMASH, I meant to say the ability to get a nice growly tone from the main woofer without getting a harsh sound from the tweeter (basically the whole point of the GK's Horn Management System). And after thinking about it, yes, the attenuator is very much different from the bi-amp function which still makes me wonder which I would prefer.

Dave at Greensquare does offer a 2 week trial period with his stuff, so I could probably A/B the pair in a shop. I just thought I'd get some peoples opinions here first before going any further with my decision.

4. That's reassuring :)

5. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    I'd love to know what the outcome of this is. I was thinking about getting a GK 1001 (or 700 for that matter) and a Schroeder 1210.

6. There is a guy on the forum with that exact setup, just have a look a few pages back in the Schroeder megathread.

7. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    It's very easy to rewire a cab to use the GK biamp facilities, do it to the schroeder if you want. All you need to do is connect the tweeter directly to the 2+/- speakon from the GK, bypassing the cab's xover. If you don't have another non-gk head that you use with the cab you don't need to worry about having a biamp switch like the genuine gk cabs.

8. Hmm If I get a Schroeder I definitely won't be venturing into the innards of the cab. It just wouldn't feel right to me :p

9. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I'm the guy. Got it, Love it! Anything else you wanna know?

[​IMG]

- Ugly.

10. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    I'd love to know your general impressions if that's possible. What type of music you're playing etc. Honest pros and cons if that's possible.

Thanks

11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    IMHO, yer fretting over minutia unless you spend a lot of time readjusting your tweeter. In my case, I set things the way I like'm, use the amp's EQ to adjust for the room, and play. IMHO, there's only a subtle difference between using a tweeter amp knob and the treble control in the EQ to adjust your high end... especially with a top quality crossover like in high end cabs such as the Schroeders.

I have a GK head I've never used the biamp feature on, and have never missed it. If I were in your position, I think I'd get the Shroeder and never look back (and, btw, I do really like GK cabs... especially the NEO ones). Plug your GK into ANY great cab(s) and it'll sound fantastic. Set the tweeter attenuator to your liking on the cab and forget about it. Just play and enjoy.

12. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    +1

:D

Joe.

13. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    Schroeder's available in Australia now!!?? :hyper: :hyper:

where? how much!??

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    +1 as well ... or is that 2.

I thought about re-wiring my BE co-ax 2x10 so that I coulkd bi-amp with it and my 1001 RB II. I called BE to talk with them. The techs's response was 'no problem you could do that easily but, your GK crosses in a different point than our cab does so the voice is going to change and not necessarily for the better... We built our cabinet to sound the way it does...' So I scrapped that idea and havent looked back.

15. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    So how do you know what it is you're missing? ;) I ran one of my ampeg cabs rewired to use GK's biamping and liked it. It's so simple to do and completely reversable, there's no down side to trying it imo. And the high frequency rolloff filter on the gk doesn't sound the same as just turning the tweeter down via an attenuator.

Schroeders are here in Oz, tho not showing up on the site. They're exepcting a shipment in a couple of weeks, email them.

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Because I did a LOT of bi-amping years ago with a Yamaha PB-1 preamp (internal adjustable x-over) and crown power amp. I've also played my 1001RB-II thru the GK NEO 212 with the GK cable and messed around with it, then, I unplugged that cable, switched the head, and played the same head thru the same cab without using that feature, and the difference was subtle at best to my ears. Again, to me, the only real benefit is that you essentially have the tweeter attenuator knob on the cab "mounted" on the front of your amp. With decent sounding basses, heads, and cabs, I just never really had the need to mess with it once I got it set where I wanted. Just more crap to mess around with and have no real significant benefit. IMHO, tho. :)

Agreed, but IMHO, the diff is subtle, and again, not something I really need to alter that much, so it was a wash for me, and I found other cabs I liked better anyway, so in the end, the feature/benefit wasn't good enough for me. However, I fully understand this is subjective territory we're on, as well, so "IMHO". :)

17. shanmag

shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    hey dave sent me the price list so if you want a copy just pm me and ill email it to you!

18. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I agree completely with what you're saying about it being a subjective call about whether you want to use it or not Vic. I do happen to like it and once it's setup I don't see it as more crap to mess with, just a bit better sounding (quite a bit with a crappy, imo, ampeg horn!) and more flexible. My point was just that Needmoney seems to like the biamp feature too and described his situation as a 'dilemma', just trying to point out it's easily resolved with a bit of tinkering. FWIW I don't have my current cabs setup this way as I use a non gk head as my main amp, a gk as backup. I'd need to install a switch in my cabs to swap between the heads, that's too much messing about for me. ;)

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Don't wanna' derail here, but I definitely agree. I've just never been able to get along with Ampeg's stuff, and I really tried because of their time proven rep.

Yeah, I went back and read the first post again, as I originally took it to mean he was more curious about the benefit of the biamp rather than "I like it and don't wanna' lose it". In re-reading it, I'm still not sure, 'cause it reads like he doesn't have the cab, and is struggling with whether to get one or not in light of the discovery of Schroeder availability, so IMHO, the question was "do I go with GK biamp or do I go with Schroeder? Is the GK biamp feature cool enough I should pay more for a GK cab to get it?" IMHO, the answer is no based on my personal perceived value of the biamp feature.

LOL! :D You rock. Funny, cause this is my situation as well. I love my GK 1001RB-II, but it's currently second banana to my EBS. :)

20. Yeah, that's the question I was asking. If the difference is only subtle then I think i'll stick with the obvious choice... which excites me quite a lot :D