Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, Oct 10, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Hey if there any GK users out there could you all post your favorite settings? I find mine to sound really well set flat but I wanna know if anyone has any good settings they like. Thanks.

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    bump... anyone?

3. mangle

mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    I just got a GK( a week ago) , a backline250, and I would appreciate any comments about settings....I have used it flat, maybe a little low mid boost....please post!

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    ndjx

Your amp's tone settings will vary depending on the type of bass that you play and also on how you run the bass's active eq (if you're using an active bass that is).

I have several basses that have different frequency responses. So, I start with the bass's tone controls set flat. Then I adjust the amp's tone controls to taste. Thereafter, I use the bass's onboard eq to fine tune the tone to taste.

I have an 800rb and a 1001rb. They each have a totally different tone response, thus, I use different settings on each.

5. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Trip here! I have 3 1001s and they are all set the same......A tad of bass boost and the string bass filter in for playing with other people. For my solo bass shows I take the string bass filter out and cut some hi-mid. Pretty doggone easy to get a tone of those things! On my 800rb the bass is boosted pretty extreme. On the 2001, flat with a tad of hi-mid cut. On a backline amp I set those flat. Really....

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    As indicated in Trip's post, the setting may also vary from one GK model to another.

I find that I need to boost the bass to 3 to 4 o'clock on the 800, while I only need to set the bass on the 1001 at about 1 to 2 o'clock.

On the 1001, I run a touch of highs and high mids to taste with the low mids nearly flat. Depending on the room, I find that I may run a bit more bass and low mids if I need more balls and punch.

It took me awhile to decide on how to run the Presence (which is really another tone control at 10K), Contour, and string bass. After about 6 months of fiddling I finally settled on running the presence at 12 o'clock, the contour between 1 to 3 o'clock, and the string bass button off.

Ofcourse all these preferences will vary from player to player depending on the bass instrument, active bass control settings, speaker cab, finger-touch, etc.

7. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Just one tip regarding contour control:

I use it about the same way as the 'loudness' switch on my home stereo:
    At lower volume I set it at 12:00 or even a bit higher, the louder I (have to) play, the lower I set the contour control.

Matthias

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That's right matthias.

Another way to look at it, for the uninitiated, is that the 1001's contour control imparts a more "smiley face" eq, a dip in the mids.

According to GK docs:
    +2db@50hz
    -10db@500hz
    +3db@7khz

9. I use a GK 400RB--different than the 400RB III, mind you. Mine looks more like the 800RB and appears to have the same controls, sans the bi-amping feature.
    I play a Warmoth P-Bass with a Fender '62 reissue pickup and use a SWR 4x10 cab. I switch off between pick and fingers depending on the song.

First of all, I make use of the mid conture button--very important, in my opinion! The four tone knobs are almost flat--none of them are further than an hour past 12 o'clock. However, I do cut the treble a little bit, cut the high-mids a tiny bit, boost the low-mids a tiny bit, and boost the bass a little bit. I do alter these a very slight amount depending on the room I'm playing in or, basically, how I think it sounds that day. If I think too much highs are coming through, I'll cut the highs; and if the room is rumbly, I'll cut the bass.