Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK = Slap Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Petary791, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I was watching a Victor Wooten DVD, and he was using a GK, and I saw Claypool playing through a little GK when he was playing a Stanley Clarke song.

Is this just a coincidence, or are GKs good for slapping?

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I find GK's great for slapping. Lots of that high-end if that's your thing.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So that's why Flea uses one! :)

4. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

+1 Oh yeah! I saw Tom Barney Play thru 2 GK 800 RB's and 2 Hartke 4x10 cabs during the Steely Dan reunion tour..........Slice n' dice all the way!

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    They definately do slap well, though GKs sound pretty good all around if you like clean, precise and punchy tones.

6. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    They're great for slapping. My 1001RB-II is always clean, punchy, and articulate no matter what technique you're using.

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Slap-o-liciousness...THUR aint nothin' wrong w/ GK!!! Slap City!

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    GK is God's gift to slappers, pluckers, pickers, poppers, tappers. GK in my opinion, is perhaps the absolute best sounding amp I have ever heard. I'll be getting my second 1001RB-II this weekend.

~Patrick

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    PATRICK, you still use your GB600? How would you compare it to the GK1001-II ? As a fellow user of the 1001-II, I would agree a good slap tone can be had. I do wish the high mid control was voiced a little higher so I could cut around 1.5-2Khz region. I find on jazz type basses thats an area that gets a little honky at times. I use an outboard parametric EQ where I cut around 2K (-6 db) and boost 8K (about +4 db) on my Lull to get a good Marcus slap tone.

Its the only thing I miss from my old Eden WT800 was the semi parametric EQ section, I rather have choices. But the GK has a solid punchy and open tone that beats the Eden in my opinion, and most of the time I leave my Demeter HPB-1 at home too these days. Go GK.

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Hmm. That is a tough comparison. The Genz has a very unique voicing but is still very versatile. I'd be here forever listing the tonal possibilites, but just know that with a tube and solid state preamp, 5 band eq, and 3 band eq boosts, it can do a lot. The highs are not as present as the GK. The GK boasts the best highs at of any amp I've ever tried. The main differnece between the GK and the 1001RB-II is that the GK cannot go from modern, hi-fi to muddy, warm tube like the Genz. But I prefer that more articulate, crisper sound of the GK.

~Patrick

11. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    cool. thanks.

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

limited experience I have with them, I'd concur. I had the GK MB150S and it was heavy on low end with not much else. Getting some mids and/or top end in left bass shy. When finger or flat picking, the mids and top end were thin and transparent but jumped out with slapping. The amp also has a presence switch that works well for slap and sort of automatically set the shy bass, some mid and top.

I was in Sam Ash comparing the my MB150S to the 150E and there was a guy slapping a Ray through one of the larger GK rigs (didn't pay attention which one) and it was some quality slap tone.

I slap for entertainment only so I sold the MB.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The GK 1001RB 2x10 combo along with a RBH1x15 bottom gets me thru the funk! :bassist:

14. Is it wrong that I prefer the tone of my peavey firebass and cheapo GK and cheapo SWR cabs to a 700RB through a top of the line GK cab?

15. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Nope. It's like saying that "I prefer the sound of this POS $200 1x15 cab over a $1,000 2x10 cab." They sound completely different. Even though I prefer the 1x15 cab to the [much more expensive] 2x10 cab, it gets "my sound" out of it better -- but that's not saying that a $1,000 1x15 couldn't get "my sound" even more, but maybe not.

16. Same thing with my 700RB-II

17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    The GKs (at least, the RB line) possess such a pronounced high end that I actually had to dial the treble down from flat - and I'm a slap-happy, treble-diggin' fool.

My RB700II is a MONSTER slap amp. Coupled with a Stingray, your tone is likely to saw someone's head off! :eek:

18. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I actually turned up the Treble when I played a 700RB (Mark I, not II). Maybe it was the bass and cabinet I was using, but I had the treble dialed up to about 3 o' clock. Lots of treble zing, but didn't take away from the rest of the sound, would've killed someone if I would use that setting with fingerstyle.

19. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    I have 4 different basses and the treble control is the first and usually only adjustment I make between all of them. I used to have the idea that deviating from a "flat" setting was a step in a direction that I "shouldn't" have to make if the bass was "right" but there being SO many inherent differences between instruments, its unavoidable and necessary.

I'm really happy with the GK, played my new Lull on the gig last night and the 1001-II brought out the punchy nature of this great bass.
    Great tone, and with the Bergantino cabs its a killer combination. If anyone is considering new speakers and has a GK head (1001, 700RB especially) BERGANTINO is a GREAT choice for this punchy bright clean open sounding head. Just don't be surprised if you run your treble or high mid control around 11:00 o'clock.

20. +1 for GK slap tone. I play a Yamaha TRB6 through a GK 1001RB and two Aguilar 1x12s. Except for the slight mid boosting that I have to use for the Aggies, I can run this setup virtually flat EQ. And new strings make my bass sound a bit like a piano through this rig. I can even get some pretty decent high end slap tones out of an Ampeg 8x10 with this head.