1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Speakon cable question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassdog, Sep 28, 2013.

1. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hi. I could use some quick advice. My GK Neo came with a Speakon cable. I use it with my GK 700RB-II head when I use the Neo. I also have a Bergantino HT112 that has Speakon connection. Can I use my GK supplied cable with the Berg. Thanks for any advice.

Bob

2. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hey never mind. Documentation says not recommended to use with other cabs. 4 connecter vs 2 connecter thing.

3. Don't worry - it's not tricky. Your amp can run a full range speaker cabinet of any make, and it can also run a cabinet that has the low and high frequency drivers wired separately. This means if you have a normally wired bass cab, then you can use ANY speakon cable that is wired with two conductor (core) cable. If you wish to run the LF and HF drivers separately then you must use a 4 circuit (labelled +1/-1 +2/-2) speakon connector with 4 core cable.

The only way around it won't work is if you pair a bi-amped cabinet with your amp, but connect with only a 2 circuit cable. You won't damage anything, but the HF from the amp won't go to the HF driver, so HF output will be limited to whatever the big driver can manage.

Don't buy expensive mega-claim cables. Stick to tough and chunky cable with decent Speakons - which for most people mean Neutrik.