1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK TONE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emblymouse, Aug 8, 2012.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    I love the tone I get with my little old MicroBass combo. So much so that I would like to try to get that going in my bigger rig. I am way behind the curve on GK stuff these days. Does that sound come though in the Fusion for example? Will I be better off going with an older model? Do not need a biamp capability. should I stay away from the tube stuff? I want to tighten up the extreme lows from the B string specifically, and have more power than my Walkabout head can dish out.

2. husky123

husky123

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses and Bergantino Audio Systems
    If you want big, tight lows and headroom to spare look no further than the MB800. A lot of GK's stuff will do it but the MB8 does it at 4.5 pounds. Ridiculous.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    700rbII have all the power you'd ever need and can still get a nice growl going without blowing the doors off the club.

I like the 800rb, but it's lowend is filtered a bit higher. Not as much way deep bass as the 700. Don't know if that would work for or against you. The 700 has tone settings that can kind of mimic the 800 but not the other way around.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    GK doesn't exactly have "tube" stuff. They have a couple hybrid heads with a preamp tube.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Oh yeah, they got powerful micros too.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    By old, you mean like the MB150 model?
    Those weren't terribly deep, as I recall.
    Kinda low-mid forward, tight, pretty punchy, for their size.
    You might try one of their new self powered extension cabs under that, if you still have it...

7. I just gigged last night at a block party for the rich folks with my little MB150E and just bled a little of the DI into the mixer for FOH. It really sounded great by all accounts. I love that amp. I bought it new maybe 15 years ago and it's been a great amp for rehearsals and smaller gigs. I'd be very happy to get that sound out of a bigger rig.

8. The G-K's have three "preamp" tubes and use all 6 sections at full plate voltage ;)

9. You're talking about the Fusion 550 - correct? How "tubey" would you say it is compared to an SVT? Ive never heard one but definately have a severe case of G.A.S. for one!

10. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

There's also a micro version, the MB Fusion 500, and a soon-to-be-released MB Fusion 800.

All three feature the full 3-tube front end.

11. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Not tubey in a SVT way. More bottom and more sparkle the highs compared to the RB series but I wouldn't compare out to the SVT at all. IMO it's over of the best amps out there.

12. The Fusion 550 and the MB Fusion share the same preamp. 3 12AX7's using all six sections at full plate voltage.
    First a properly maintained OLD SVT is a true thing of beauty. I always say every bassist should at sometime own and play a good tube amp (I spent a long time with them). The Fusion gets warmer tube character than most hybrids I have played but, it does remain somewhat modern sounding. By that I mean it doesn't have the low end "bloom" of a SVT, it remains solid and articulate. I have adjusted my Fusion 550 to sound like my old V4-B on occasion but my current cabs never saw an SVT so I didn't try an SVT sound.
    I will say so far it has done anything I have asked of it except sound bad. ;) Maybe if I tried harder....but why?

13. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    700rb is one mean mofo paired with a 212.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    3 tubes? Not bad.

15. I think people looking at GK heads aren't those searching for SVT goodness on the cheap. The GK hybrids are cool but I think their true magic is in their solid state heads, there's something magical about those. I think they're a bit brighter and tighter than the Mesa carbines but a bit deeper than the full solid state ones.

I'd love to hear a GK micro vs my tried and true 1001RBH. If they hold up to my expectations of the tight, punchy GK growl a GK micro and neo 2x12 would be a cream dream.

16. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    true dat.

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Guys: he's not talking about the current MB200/500/800 stuff.
    He's talking about the old MB150/s micro combo.

18. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Yes, thank you!
    These have always sounded better than they ought to! The quality I like is the round and tight bottom. Clarity without sterility. When it's not being pushed and the band levels are reasonable it really has a clarity that has nothing to do with highs. I've used Schroeder stuff, and I'm not talking about the low mid forwardness like that. Of course all this is at very low volume.
    Also, a guilty pleasure is the Contour control. It seems the general opinion is to 'leave those mids alone' but my ears are pleased with a little scoop. Not for slapping mind you.:)
    So all this is 1980's technology, no tubes involved. Do you think some of what I attribute to the amp is perhaps the result of a sealed cabinet? It's the only other wild card.

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The particular driver in yours may not be the same as what's in the new ones, but, in general, yes. The sealed cab will roll the lows off a little higher in frequency, sounding tighter, more controlled, less "woofy" or "blurry". My 800rb does something similair by filtering out the very deepest lows inside the amp, before they get to the speaker. There, it's again "tight" or "under control". Doesn't lack bass IMO, I don't get the urge to turn up the bass knob. It's the good bass and not the muddy, indestinct stuff.

20. I was trying to do this same thing ,match the tone of the ol MB150S I have, (I love it, can keep up pretty well for rehearsals)
    I always liked the old 400RB through 80's gk 410B, but the MB150 is actually a bit better, I like the contour knob vs switch as well. The 400/410 very growly and mid heavy, but great for rock in general

I have 700RBII with Neo212I, it has the most deep low end and clean headroom (out of my stuff)...but I feel the closest in out of the box tone is MB500 with 212MBE (8ohm). It has enough deep lows, but is extremely present in the mids/upper mids/top end....
    the mb150s goes to rehearsals, and church, while the 500and 212mbe do the louder gigging, and to me they are closest, but i have never tried any of the fusion series, 500 or 550

imo, 500 and a 212 mbe or neo is a good starting place