1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK tweeter hissing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 2012 AMJAZZ, Aug 15, 2012.

1. 2012 AMJAZZ

2012 AMJAZZ

Jul 21, 2012
    I just got a GK MB 500 and a GK 410-Neo from Sweetwater
    I used a speakon cable, set the tweeter on full range and normal position. There is a loud hiss. Do I need a different type of speakon cable. I have never used them before. It says 4 on the package. Is there a speakon 2? Should this matter? It also says you can no longer use a regular jack.
    I love the amp and would hate to have to send it back, but the hiss is a dealbreaker.

2. 2012 AMJAZZ

2012 AMJAZZ

Jul 21, 2012
    I am considering keeping the bottom and exchanging the head for an Ampeg PF 500
    Sweetwater says this has been an issue with some MB 500's
    I play in a Classic Rock band

3. The 4 conductor speakon should be right. I imagine the cab should be set to biamp instead of fullrange though, so it utilizes the biamping.

4. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Auburn California
    Maybe there's a snake in it. ?

5. MB500 don't biamp. Sounds like you received a noisy unit. Exchange is the answer. New production leaving the California plant seem to be quieter. All high gain amps will hiss some but should not be excessive.

6. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    My MB500 hissed like crazy. Do a few bicep curls then buy a 700RB2. You're welcome. (joke)

7. Aha. i wasn't paying enough attention.

In that case, he doesn't really need a 4 wire speaking does he? Although if it is wired right I guess it makes no difference.

8. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Hiss is generated by the (low) quality of electronic components and circuit design - not by tweeters/horns or cables.

9. Really. Is this based on really expensive components in high end (expensive) high gain designs or just personal beliefs? :)

10. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

I was just making a general statement about the relative quality of electronic components - not implying that that model or GK products are poor quality.

One of the things that electronic manufacturers strive for, particularly in audio products, is to reduce noise like hiss. And one way that's achieved is through higher quality, generally more expensive components.

So generally, lower quality components - more noise/hiss.

I've seen a number of posts on TB where people are wondering why their horn is 'causing' so much hiss. The horn only reproduces what's sent to it.

Obviously, an electronic component or circuit defect of some sort that needs repair can cause all kinds of problems, including noise.

11. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    If I turn the horns up on my 410 Neos they hiss pretty loud. I use the bi amp feature with my 700rbII. The cabs are plenty bright though with the tweeter off or just barely on.

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Send it back and tell Sweetwater it is too hissy.
    Tell them to send you another but check it before they send it and make sure it is not hissy like this one.

13. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    What i think is they all hiss.
    Using different basses gives me different results.
    One of my basses hisses when im not touching it but another only hisses when im faced in a certain direction.

14. 2012 AMJAZZ: Personally, I don't like tweeters - maybe you don't either, turn the tweeter off and find out.

Or did you already do something else?

15. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    What's actually happening is:
    The MB500 has a normal speakon jack. The cabinet has a speakon 4 (or whatever they call it). The only thing the speakon in the cabinet can do is use "Bi-amp mode". The MB500 does not have this capability. Connect the MB500 to the cabinet with a normal cable, switch the cabinet to normal mode, and control the tweeter from the dial on the back of the cabinet.
    There more than likely is nothing wrong with either item.

16. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    The 4 pin speakon will work fine, two conductors just wont be used. If you have the cab switched to bi amp it will just kill the tweeter.