1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK tweeter problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by puremusic, Jan 14, 2012.

1. puremusic

puremusic

Nov 1, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    Could faulty fuses cause two tweeters to blow? I had no sound coming out of the original P-Audio in my GK Neo 410 8 OHM after talking with their service dept. yesterday they told me to do a 9 volt battery test on the wires connected to the tweeter if the fuses looked alright to me because this crossover do have two separate fuses in it. The p-audio was blown so I put in an foster tweeter that I had and I heard it pop right after I turned the amp on. I use the correct speakon cable from GK and my cab is used with a 700rbII head, any help would be appreciated. I am going to take advantage of the protection plan from GC but this doesn't help me for my gig tomorrow.

2. The "fuses" are actually lamps designed to soak excessive power going to the horn. They should glow brightly before they blow (burn out). You may have a damaged horn amp in your 700RB II. The temp fix; replace the "fuses" with automotive lamps (for now), move the switch on the cab to "Full Range". You can still use the speakon as the 2+.2- (horn amp feed) will be disconnected at the cab. After your gig get the amp head checked!

3. puremusic

puremusic

Nov 1, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    Thanks that is pretty much what I figured I would have to do but it's always good to check with others thanks.

4. No problem, glad to help! :)

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Say what? You can't test a tweeter with a battery.
    That might indicate a blown high-pass filter that's not protecting the driver.

6. There is no high-pass filter when using the G-K speakon with HMS (like the 700RB II). 2+,2- is wired direct to the horn amp in the amp head.

7. puremusic

puremusic

Nov 1, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    Yes Bill that is what they told me to do and I didn't trust that because you told me in the past that checking the tweeter with the battery would fry it so I didn't do it. Anyway the other tweeter popped right away and I had it at the 9:00 position when I turned it on.

8. Why can't you test a dynamic tweeter horn with a battery? I have done it for decades, not a 9 volt but a AA 1 1/2 volt. All the horns I have tested are still alive today (except the ones that were fried before the test).

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You can but a 9 volt is enough to blow the tweeter. I also use a AA or AAA and listen for the click. Never blew one that way.