1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Ultra-Light Convert Confessions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jtc_hunter, May 1, 2010.

1. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    For a long time I ran a GK 700RBII thru my 2 Avatar SB-112 Neo cabs. A match made in heaven. But G.A.S. got the better of me and I took a huge risk and sold my 700RBII and bought the new GK MB-500 (3 lb. 12 oz.) head. I guess I got lucky because it is wonderful and I have no regrets( and no problems). So as the G.A.S. became chronic, I had a little extra cash and bought a MB115 combo from RMCaudio. It came yesterday, and since I had read alot of posts about "rattling", the first thing i did was tighten every screw on it. I then took it to practice last night. I play in 2 bands and last nights practice was with the "young" band. A loud drummer, a 100 watt tube amp lead guitar 412, a 60 watt 410 tube amp rhythm guitar player, and a singer. I proudly plugged in my 115 -200 watt combo and never put the master past 10:00.
    Another thing I checked was the onboard D.I. thru the PA, I didnt play with it that way, but just wanted to see if there was any unwanted noise. It was dead silent even when I turned the master to 3:00 and had the horn engaged. Sweet. After last night I feel I could gig with this amp anywhere . W/O the use of the DI for say 150 people or less. With the DI, anywhere. But my MB500 and 212 stack will be for most gigs. The MB115 will be used in the practice room and maybe some smaller gigs, or as a backup.

2. Congrats! I've been thinking of picking up one of the MB combos. The light weight is a huge draw. Glad to hear that yours seems to be doing so well.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Seems like a couple of good moves, and I've been thinking along similar lines. I have a 700RB-II and two first gen Neo112 cabs, plus a 700RB backup head and Roland Cube 100 combo. I've been thinking about two options: (1) selling the old 700RB, and getting the MB-500 (or MB Fusion when it arrives) to lighten the load for most gigs; or (2) selling the 700RB and the Roland, getting an MB combo to use for most (i.e., small) gigs, and using the 700RB-II and 2 x Neo112 only when necessary. I normally get by with just one Neo112 cab, and I figure an MB210 or MB115 would be similar.

None of this is necessary, but it's really tempting to take advantage of all this great lightweight stuff from G-K.

Glad you like your MB115 cab. I tried one for a few minutes with a Jazz bass, and thought it sounded fantastic. Maybe I should just sell the Roland and get one.

4. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    those little combos have be re-thinking what a rig "needs" to be..