GK users - How many of you use the bi-amp feature?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slater, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm thinking about buying a Gallien Kruger amp, but I don't have GK cabs (yet), so I won't be using the bi-amp feature (right away).

So, I'm just wondering, how many GK owners (mainly 700RB-II/1001RB-II owners) actually use the bi-amp or H.M.S.?
  2. I have a 1001RBII, but I'm not using the HMS. I do not have a cab equipped for that, or the 4 connector speakon cable.

Before getting the amp, I had a lot of anxiety over whether I would modify the cab, get the cable, all that.

Now that I have it, I'm completely happy without using it, although for all I know it might make it sound even better.

But considering I usually keep the presence set at minimum, having tweakable tweeter control is probably a feature I don't really need or would not use.

I love the amp, but I wish they had put the design and manufacturing effort for the HMS into more useful (for me)features, such as an onboard quality compressor, or a band of adjustable parametric EQ. Or a post-input control clip light.

Still, as I said, since I have not heard the output of the HMS, I can't say whether I would find it useful or not.
  3. nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I have the 1001RB-II, but I do not use the bi amp feature.
    I use ampeg and avatar cabs with it. I don't feel like changing to GK cabs just to use the bi amp feature... I'm already very satisfied with the sound this way. I also don't use horns/tweeters a lot...
  4. It's a nice to have feature; but i wouldn't fret if you're considering getting a dif cab that doesn't utilize this. I use the GK1001 with non GK-amps because I just like other cabs better, don't miss the bi-amp feature at all honestly. Don't forget you can still adjust your tweeter thru passive of the cab (i know, how barbaric!)
  5. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I do use the biamp feature, and it does alot to clean up the sound. Before, I used a regular Monster speaker cable to connect my 1001RB-II to my 410SBX, but I just recently came across a GK 4 pin speakon, and bought a 115SBX. Now, I've never been more satisfied with my sound.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ill be buying a GK setup this summer, with a GK cab and i will be using the bi amp system. Its quite effective.
  7. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I use the bi amp feature on my 700RB II and 212 Neo Cab. Pretty cool to dial in the tweeter from the amp instead of having to fiddle with the crossover in the back.
  8. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    GK rig user here, I use the hms and it sounds great! A little goes a long way!:)
  9. I'm still waiting to hear how my 800RB sounds bi-amped old school GK style. I just haven't gotten around to snatching up an 8 ohm cab for the high amp (Ideally for full range, actually)- too much other stuff to buy right now plus I've got a great full on rig for gigging already, so it's not a big priority. I'm sure I'll find out eventually. Sooner than later I hope.
  10. BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    I have a 1001RB-II running into an Avatar 2x12 with Neo speakers. I can control the tweeter volume on the back of the cab, and the woofer volume on the amp. The only feature I miss that I wish I had was the Boost feature for a little extra low-end growl. Other than that, it is one hell of an amp. If I ever need any of that extra growl, I just use effect pedals to find some nice natural distortion. :hyper:
  11. Amen brother...I practicly turn my horn all the way down (~8:00-9:00) but when I do need crystal clear highs it is awesome. BTW, I use the 1001RB-II paired with a 410SBX with plans to add a 115SBX once I get some other essentials...
  12. i owned a 800rb and a 1001rbII
    never used the bi-amp
    never had a gk cab to use the biamp on 1001 with.
  13. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Thanks for the replies! :) Keep 'em comin'...:hyper:
  14. I've had a 700RB-II for a year, still haven't tried the Bi Amp mode.
  15. bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    Using a GK 1001 RB II head.

I tried for 2 months to demo a RBH or neo cab, but no store will carry any GK cab other than the SBX or backline.:crying:

I wanted to try the GK biamp 1st before forking out the $$.

I bought a Aguilar GS 412. I use the 1/4 inch jack with a 14 gauge wire.:hyper:

Love this cab. the low end is the bomb. Alittle mid scooped. bought the EQ in head can take care of it.:bassist:
  16. I use a GK 1001RB-II with a GK SBX210-II.
    In my experience the bi-amp feature is especially nice if you use the Boost control on the amp. No matter how much boost you dial in, the tweeter will remain nice and clean.
  17. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    +1 - this is me as well. I've tried biamping when I had my SVT-4 PRO, and I wasn't blown away - I couldn't really even tell the difference. I don't even know what HMS is, but I love the sound of my 1001RB-II through my SVT-410HLF.

18. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    i use the gk1001-rbII with a single ampeg classic 1x15 cab for my church gigs/rehearsals and rock rehearsals. set everything @straight up and it sounds great! i use speak-on cables, but not the bi-amp kind, because the ampeg cab is not bi-amp equipped, nor does it have a tweeter.

for my bigger rock shows i use an ampeg classic 4x10 (sometimes additionally with the 1x15 too) with my GK head everything @strait-up with the tweeter off or barely on. sounds great! basically i have found no need to not run full range. maybe i just like a more round/classic tone and most stuf above 5k doesn't really help me.

i had a GK 410rbh cab, which basically smokes most 4x10s. and i used the bi-amp feature (barely) like 25% tweeter volume and 25% tweeter cab level. i do recomemend this cab or the new neo 2x12, both great cabs! the rest of the gk cabs i have not ever liked, and actually did not sound good in full range or bi-amp.

i understand why GK has their bi-amp system set up the way they do. having a clean hi-end with a 'boosted' low end is nice, and since their bi-amp system goes hand in hand with their GK cabinets (unless you modify yours) this feature sells more GK cabinets.

i like the way the 800rb biamp works better. too bad the head is not more powerful 300watts low/100watts hi, or i would use it. i would love to seperate everything @1k and above into my 4x10 and everything @1k and below into my 15". a crossover at 5K is just too high and into a tweeter sounds harsh. it doesn't work for me. a crossover at @1k into smaller speakers would. GK- make an 800rb with more power!!! like 700 low, 350 hi with the best features of the 1001, 2001 and 800 all in one (not the current bi-amp).

19. Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    I couldn't agree more...I ran my 800 rb Biamped all the time the high end feeding a Mesa 210 and the low end feeding a pair of 15" jbl2226 cabs

I too like running my high end through speakers
  20. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Thanks everyone! It seems like the H.M.S. is nice if you use it, but not really necessary, which is fine by me.

It looks like RMC Audio might be getting my business in the near future...:bassist: