Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK v. aguilar???!!! a comparison

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Mar 8, 2003.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I've been kicking around the idea of selling my rack gear (aguilar db659 and stewart world 1.2) and buying a slightly more portable and less expensive GK 1001rb. This will bring me closer to my goal of owning a loud good sounding rig that can be carried up a flight of stairs in one trip. I decided to do an A/B test today and compare the sounds of my aggie pre with the preamp in my GK mbe150 combo (By the way if anyone has compared the pre's in the mbe and the 1001rb let me know).

I ran each pre into one side of my stewart and then into my EA CXL112. I listened to them playing by myself w/no other instruments. Here's what I thought:

The aggie sounded great no matter what I did EQ-wise. It had a nice meaty tone to it. The mids and highs were definitely smoother that the Gk's, which had sort of a metallic raspiness to the sound. There also seemed to be a sort of soft "bounce" to the attack of each note that the GK didn't have.

The GK definitely held it's own, however, but only after playing with the EQ. With the EQ flat it sounded raspy and lacked bottom. I set the parametric mids to roughly the same frequencies that the 1001rb's non-parametric mids are set at. By cutting some upper mids and boosting the lows I was able to approximate some of the depth and warmth of the aggie. There was alway a slight metallic edge to the mids that I didn't like and couldn't get rid of, although I imagine this sound might appeal to the metalheads out there. The attack of each note with the GK was also harder and faster, and I mean that in a bad way, although this may be good in a band mix.

Overall the aggie sounds sweeter to me but the GK is capable of some very pleasing tones with a little EQing. I may have to take advantage of the generous return policies of the local Guitar Center and check out a 1001rb. All of the above is IMHO, YMMV etc.

2. Aggie preamp and GK 2000rb - My dream setup .

Warmth of tubes , clarity of SS .

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    The preamp on the new 1001RB Mark-II is warmer,smoother and quieter than the old one.The power has also been boosted to 700 watts.The weight (18 lbs.) and price are the same.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i actually really like alot of GK's stuff. lots of power and tone for little coin.

but i've since realized the EA does some amazing SS stuff. if you want portablity, and only need 350 watts @ 4 ohms, give a 15 lbs. iAMP350 a try.

btw, funny you brought up your rig, cause i too thought a nice preamp and relatively light Stew 1.2 would make for easy haul, but after a while, that too gets a little tiring after the 4th gig of the week. :rolleyes:

if only Demeter or Aguilar did a little box like the WT400 or the iAMP... ;)

5. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    exactly!!!

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually,

on ebay a little while back was an eaaaaaaaarly generation 400 watt Eden head about the size of the WT400 that was co-designed with James Demeter. even had "designed by James Demeter" on the front panel. dag, i wish i still had a pic of that...

kinda funny, cause they're products are the furthest from each other on the tonal scale, eh?

7. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
  8. GK and Aguilar aren't even in the same league soundwise. But then again, you gotta pay more for Aguilar. It's just a matter of what you're willing to pay.

9. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    That's a matter of opinion.I'd put my 2001RB up against an Aguilar anyday:D

10. Of course it's my opinion. In fact if you really want my opnion. I really don't like the way GKs sound at all. I can definately understand why people like them because they have a very modern sort of scooped sound. It's just not my sound.

The point I was trying to make was that the price difference between Aguilars and GKs is understandable to me, because I think that Aguilars just have a more refined sound.

11. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I've owned Aguilar DB 359 and a GK 1001. The Aguilar was warmer but the Gk was much louder and cut thru better in a live situation. I was really impressed by the GK 1001 especially when you consider the price difference. Between the two I would buy the GK 1001 because it is easy to transport... 18 lbs... and it sounds great. The Aguilar has a great tone but the price is way up there.

12. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I think the 2001RB as well as the rest of the new GK amps have a very refined tone to them.I don't find mine to be "scooped" sounding at all unless you EQ it that way.Actually I find it to have a very present midrange when set flat as opposed to say an SWR which IMO is missing some high mids when set flat.